The Horse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Sham- 5 year old Thoroughbred ~~~ Texas Pete- 32 year old Thoroughbred still going strong.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are on my horses current condition. Here are the best pictures I have:

Let me know your thoughts!

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
He could definitely gain a little weight but is not bad. I'd give him a low 4. It's not seeing ribs that makes me think he should gain some weight, but rather the spinous processes that are visible over the lumbar spine and possibly a dip in front of the sacroiliac area. His neck is fine, and he has a little padding behind the shoulder, so I wouldn't put him down to a 3.

Looking at the tucked up flank, I'd suspect this horse might be suffering from ulcers or hind gut acidosis, which is super common in off track TBs (guessing he is). I'd make sure he has free choice hay and is not fed any grain products, is fed well before exercise and has a low stress lifestyle with lots of turnout. If you think he might have ulcers, I'd consider treating him or feeding him something like Equishure for a while. I basically assume TBs have ulcers at first. Even years after being on the track they can still show big changes in weight and attitude if you treat them for ulcers.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
Condition...
Muscle wise he looks pretty good, not flabby but not well defined with bulk either.
Thoroughbreds don't do massive bulk like Quarter Horses more commonly do...long, lean and lanky muscles on Thoroughbreds is what the breed does.
He looks balanced front to back in muscle.
His weight, he could gain a few pounds with his SI joint "knobs" peeking out and his hindend could fill in a bit more too and better cover that tailhead area..
I also notice his shoulder point and that will cover with a bit of weight put on the frame.
I don't like a horse "fat" that you miss the ripple of rib under skin and a thin layer of fat, so to me he is far more appealing than a fat and jiggly animal in appearance.

He doesn't need a lot in this picture but it also is summer sleek on him and short sleeves on his handler and green, green grass.
I hope he as been able to add a bit of poundage to his frame before winter and continue to work in safe footing to place the gained weight in proper places, not just as fat..
🐴...

·
Registered
Sham- 5 year old Thoroughbred ~~~ Texas Pete- 32 year old Thoroughbred still going strong.
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should probably also mention that he hasn’t raced in 25 years or so and is 32 currently. He rides fantastically and has a very low stress life. He has hay 24/7 and a vet prescribed diet to help him keep weight on :)

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Wow 32 years old he looks great. Yeah he could use some weight on him. He would probably do best on a senior feed, like triple crown or purina senior.

Could also add alfalfa hay to his diet, or cubes well soaked. Can mix the senior with the soaked cubes. Just a few ideas.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow 32 years old he looks great. Yeah he could use some weight on him. He would probably do best on a senior feed, like triple crown or purina senior.

Could also add alfalfa hay to his diet, or cubes well soaked. Can mix the senior with the soaked cubes. Just a few ideas.
He and my other horse don’t keep weight on well so they both have a 60% alfalfa hay. He gets triple crown senior twice a day :) I was giving him soaked cubes but he no longer really has teeth so he can’t chew them well enough.

·
Premium Member
24,098 Posts
He looks great! I wouldn't be wanting much if any more weight on him. Of course, from only those pics it's very much a 'guesstimate' but I'm thinking he may have an old pelvis injury, causing his back/SI region to appear a bit atrophied.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
At 32 he looks amazing..
Toned, weight on his frame and just a bit lean is far easier on the older body and joints to move around..

Are you still riding him at this age and if so what type of activity level does he participate in ?

Whatever "plan" you and your vet developed, stick with it.
It obviously agrees with this one. 😉
🐴...

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Hi! I’m wondering what people’s thoughts are on my horses current condition. Here are the best pictures I have:
View attachment 1109159 View attachment 1109160
Let me know your thoughts!
Seeing that you later added he’s 32, I think he looks great. As horselovinguy points out, being lighter is often good for the older ones because it’s easier on the joints and the like...he looks very good, even has a healthy looking coat. I thought he was in excellent condition before, but I certainly think that now. A lot of people are saying they would prefer to see more weight, personally I think he’s just right if he can maintain that weight and not lose any. Some of it is really just a matter of preference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you still riding him at this age and if so what type of activity level does he participate in ?
I still ride him at least 3 times/week. Usually trail riding over easy terrain. Our ride runs at about 3.5 miles. We do .5 miles of jog and .25 miles of an easy canter, if he wants to do a short gallop I let him. At his age I never ask him for any more than he wants to give, he knows his limits far better than I do. He still has it in him to bolt occasionally or give a good spook (typically just an energy thing. not a mood, fear or pain thing.) I also occasionally do cow work with him. I also pony my younger gelding off of him.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He looks great! I wouldn't be wanting much if any more weight on him. Of course, from only those pics it's very much a 'guesstimate' but I'm thinking he may have an old pelvis injury, causing his back/SI region to appear a bit atrophied.
He’s actually a mystery horse, so we have no medical history, breeding history or anything! We do know he’s tattooed but it’s so faded we can only make our for sure that he was foaled in 1988. He definitely could have an old injury. I’d be curious to find out :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
That horse is NOT a low 4. A mid-high 4 probably. Could gain a little muscle but again, he's 32. He looks incredible for his age. He's also a bit more TB looking in build, so he'll always probably be a little leaner looking with higher withers and slimmer limbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts