The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two little girls at my barn - okay, they're perhaps 12 and 15. The 12 year old seems like she will one day become a very serious rider, the 15 year old is very interested, but it's not her passion like it is for her sister.

I don't particularly like kids so it's unusual that I'm wanting to get them something, LOL.

Anyway...

I would like to get them a book (one copy for each) on Dressage. Is there a book out there that goes into the theory and covers things like rider position/form, correct aids/cues, etc? They're not getting particularly good Dressage lessons, but at least they're not totally on their own. I would like to supplement their knowledge and give them a way to be able to ask informed questions and have something to reference.

Does such a book exist?

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I have several dressage books, but mine are all older hand-me-downs. Maybe not in print anymore, and none of them stick out in my head as being particularly spectacular.

I would recommend getting them the book 101 Dressage Exercises (I think that's the name). It's a great book that includes everything from very basic exercises to advanced movements. A great tool for people trying to work their way through things without a trainer. My copy mysteriously vanished awhile back, so I'm looking to get another :D

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Centered riding by Sally Swift is the only book I think any dressage rider needs :) others are nice to have, but Centered Riding is the best!
Lots of great pictures and illustrations :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Yes that is the book! It's pretty inexpensive from what I recall...
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Centered Riding 2 is very good. It does build off the info in the first book.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I think those are great recommendations. 101 exercises would be good to measure progress and Centered riding is great at visualization. I really like The Handbook of Riding Essentials as well. How bad you you like them?

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Centered riding by Sally Swift is the only book I think any dressage rider needs :) others are nice to have, but Centered Riding is the best!
Lots of great pictures and illustrations :)
Posted via Mobile Device
It is a phenomenal book. There a couple more i've read that were phenomenal, but I have to go home and take a look at my library. Ill come back and post when I have the titles and authors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.