The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gelding that, if he's been on a feed for a really long time he seems to get tired of the taste.

( he's been checked by a vet for this incase of something actually wrong and found nothing)
We change the feed (something tht tastes/smells different) and he eats that for a long time, till he starts getting tired of it.

Is there anything I can add to his feed to make it taste different without it being unhealthy ? I can't say I change his feed real often, he's been on this for a long time. He does eat, just not as happy about it as he is with a treat or different smelling/tasting feeds.

If rather not keep changing feeds

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Sorry I don't have any help. Around here, a horse that won't eat their feed is either sick or fed too much.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Im not as happy about dinner as I am a piece of candy. Any horse will love a treat/grain more than hay.

Did you ever think that he gets full and that's why "bored" of it?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have encountered this with a horse at a barn I boarded at! He would eat his grain just fine for a month or two, then just suddenly decide he was tired of it and leave it in his bucket. He had been check by several vets etc, it appeared he was just getting bored! One thing that seemed to help extend the length of time he would stay interested was switching around different top dressings- rice bran, oil, hay balancer etc. Sometimes just putting a handful of a different feed in and mixing it would help...His owner just had to switch brands/feeds every few months, he was such a picky eater and very hard to keep weight on! To this day she hasn't been able to find one he will stay on (he is now 18) but she has been able to rotate back to certain feeds after a while.

Reactions: Janna

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He eats his hay just fine. He has a round bale but he's not an easy keeper and gets ridden a lot so hay alone, he won't hold weight.

So I give him feed, and usually a scoop (one of the 3 quart scoops) in the morning and one at night. I've never seen a horse get full on that amount. (One of his size anyway.)
He will eat the feed but just isn't into it and don't always clean up.

But any time I switch feeds, he'll be happy to eat again for a while.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Never heard of it. Is the feed getting spoiled ?
New research is saying they found grain is not good for horses. Even tho we have fed that for many years. Maybe just give him a vitamin mineral supplement and for extra weight give soaked beet pulp with no malasses. Horses are grazing animals and want/need to eat constant, thats why people are going for the slow feed nets. when I see a horse not wanting food I think there is something wrong. feed only stays in there stomach for 15 minutes, thats why they are and act hungry all the time. This is the mineral I really like, check it out.
Hoffmans Horse Minerals - Horse Mineral - Horse Feed

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The feed is not spoiled and the other guys eat it just fine.

This guy just seriously gets tired of the feed after a while.
It is a pellet, not a sweat feed.

I was wondering if maybe a drop or two of molasses mixed in wouldn't be too bad for him while changing the taste up a bit

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Id wonder about ulcers in a horse like this. It is not normal or common for a horse to go completely off his feed.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He doesn't go completely off his feed, just gets less interested in it and doesn't always clean it all up.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Supposing that he really just gets tired of the feed, and I've seen such horses before (it might happen because the feed is not completely balanced and he feels he doesn't need something in it any more, by the way), molasses shouldn't be the first choice how to brighten up a meal - you're not interested to add more sugars to a horses' feed. Instead, try cold-pressed linseed oil or apple cider vinegar. I know no horse that would turn down apple cider vinegar! Just careful with the vinegar if the horse has ulcers.

Reactions: Janna

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is he out 24/7 and just brought in to eat? My 2 live out, but are generally stalled in the morning and evening for 15-30 minutes to eat their grain/supplements. My Arab mare will sometimes completely ignore her grain because she is just in a hurry to get back outside. I found that feeding her outside eliminated the issue. I will either separate them into 2 paddocks while they eat or just stick a feedbag on her nose for a few minutes. If she is stalled for a longer period of time or overnight for showing/weather issues/etc. She has no problem eating in the stall, she just doesn't enjoy going in for the sole purpose of eating.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
When a horse starts turning his nose up at feed or not finishing it, he doesn't need it. If he's being ridden an hour or two weekly he needs hay only and no long periods of not having any. Hay is primary for a horse, that is what his gut is designed for.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah he only gets put up to be fed.

He gets ridden almost every day depending on the weather.
Usually 2-3 hours of riding. Minimal cantering, mostly walking and trotting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts