The Horse Forum banner

301 - 320 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
I hope you get a chance to really relax, you've had such a rough semester, @lostastirrup. The ceramic can always wait when you're tired like that. Good to hear the pony is feeling better! And I forgot to answer your question about garlic soup - not specifically, like the Spanish, I just put it in general vegetable soup etc and have raw garlic when I feel really bad (but then my husband won't kiss me :-() - and marshmallow tea, which we don't have here, but I am always happy to eat marshmallows - or put them in a hot chocolate... ;-)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
@SueC Glowing eyes, distaste of Garlic, and aversion to the morning sun? Are you sure Brett is not a vampire?

Marshmallow root is wonderful for sore throats. You can make "real marshmallows" by making a meringue and using crushed Marshmallow root, it's also wonderful in tea.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
The funny thing is, the only time we had a sore throat was at the start, and we fixed that with a hot toddy straight away: Juice one (unsprayed) lemon, cut up peel and put in glass jug and pour over a mug of boiling water, stir, strain into mug with the juice and a big teaspoon of honey and another big teaspoon of brown sugar, and a good dash of brandy. That was an old recipe we read and it's very tasty and effective.

It's just coughing and periodically feeling as if ants are crawling around inside your respiratory tract... we've been getting gradually better, but just when we think we've recovered, we get another bad day. Bit like the swine flu (which we had the pleasure of having ten years ago when it went around in Australia) - comes and goes - but not a flu, just a nasty respiratory bug.

Garlic, large amounts of wasabi, VapoRub are all helpful. The real marshmallow recipe sounds great! I must ask the local witch if she can source marshmallow roots... :Angel:

And your suspicions seem well founded, I do think Brett has vampire DNA... :rofl:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
The funny thing is, the only time we had a sore throat was at the start, and we fixed that with a hot toddy straight away: Juice one (unsprayed) lemon, cut up peel and put in glass jug and pour over a mug of boiling water, stir, strain into mug with the juice and a big teaspoon of honey and another big teaspoon of brown sugar, and a good dash of brandy. That was an old recipe we read and it's very tasty and effective.

It's just coughing and periodically feeling as if ants are crawling around inside your respiratory tract... we've been getting gradually better, but just when we think we've recovered, we get another bad day. Bit like the swine flu (which we had the pleasure of having ten years ago when it went around in Australia) - comes and goes - but not a flu, just a nasty respiratory bug.

Garlic, large amounts of wasabi, VapoRub are all helpful. The real marshmallow recipe sounds great! I must ask the local witch if she can source marshmallow roots... :Angel:

And your suspicions seem well founded, I do think Brett has vampire DNA... :rofl:

Hmmmm. I've never tried that, although I do have some Brandy in the cupboard.
I love the wasabi technique. There was an old online game that was around when I was a kid I think it was called dragon fable or something like that, but one of the more memorable plot points was a wizard dying and being brought back to life by a spoonful of wasabi, the game was pretty well done, and the lead up and the humour was spot on. Ten year old me busted out laughing.

He sounds like a nice vampire. Far better than the single dimension emotionally unstable creatures that for some reason young adult romance is obsessed with.

A good vampire book: "The Reformed Vampire Support Group" by Catherine Jinks. A most excellent parody.

I did not like Dracula.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
He sounds like a nice vampire. Far better than the single dimension emotionally unstable creatures that for some reason young adult romance is obsessed with.
And not just in vampire fiction, it seems - nor is it wholly confined to fiction of any sort. :rofl: I wonder how that ever got to be mainstream attractive... :Angel:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
Meet the new kid.

This is "Fletch" a blm mustang out of Nevada. Been holding off on posting at all and about this kid til she was well settled. More on how she ended up being a thing and the ride that has been my life lately to follow....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Something of an update:

My life- covid19 and the semester from hell saw me move out to my SO's family ranch and in with his mother. Going well, she likes the extra hand, and together we drink a lot of gin and cuss at cows.

Critters- we are now +2, a new horse and a dog that I picked up while the shelter cleared for quarantine. "Kote" looks like a heeler but fetches and chases birds. He thinks calves are scary. "Fletch" is a 5yo mustang who fulfilled my project horse requirement of "cheap, sound and ponyish" so now there are four of us.

Nick- riding well, is a little tubby from Dr. Green but his life has become a mix of cows and rough country and the fact his person still likes doing the fancy stuff. So he's muscled and (hopefully) slimming now that his workload has once again doubled (he's the only broke/not pregnant/sound thing around at the moment) as for his dressage- I send videos to a trainer and do homework but it's not something I'm feeling very driven at at the moment. We did a couple 3rd level tests that went okay and other than swapping leads during the counters during the FEI pony tests he's being good/progressing well. I feel like we've had a saddle for barely a year and he's jumped a pile of levels so I should probably take some slow time while the creek is clear and beautiful and the sky is bright and enjoy some opportunities that I probably won't have again when this season ends. There will always be arenas. There's only so much skinny dipping and arrowhead hunting and canyon exploring available to the world and it's rapidly disappearing.

Misty- is still the most adorable floof with five pointy ends and a love of murder.

Kote- 8mo sensitive creature that I'm praying to God comes onto cows at least mildly.

Fletch- had her first ride today and was a good cookie for it. Excited to see how she develops. I like how she's built- she's very 'leg at each corner' as thelwell would say, with massive knees and feet and not a bad hind leg to boot. Her face is something of a trunk, but as a Scots-Irish woman I can identify with that curse, so we dwell on her long luscious locks instead.

Oh and I'm restoring a sheep wagon. So there's that too.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
WOW, the scenery!

I already love Fletch. She has some big, solid feet on her, overall sturdily built without being "heavy." My type of horse! My future has had a BLM mustang in it for a long time, and seeing her adds fuel to the fire.

Please keep us posted as you see fit - this is fantastic reading.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I seriously love her build!! Love those big Mustang feet for sure! Originally my dream horse was always a solid bay, how I got into bald faced overo paints, I will never understand!

Nick looks great! Looks like a gorgeous place! Any closer to me by chance? LOL!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
I seriously love her build!! Love those big Mustang feet for sure! Originally my dream horse was always a solid bay, how I got into bald faced overo paints, I will never understand!

Nick looks great! Looks like a gorgeous place! Any closer to me by chance? LOL!

She's sturdy as an oak table. And a nice size and strides out with the big guys for sure.. so if you are looking for something broke for that pile of kiddos, if she doesn't find a vocation as a cow puncher/eventer she'll make a cool kids horse. Im hoping she'll find her place here. But we'll see what she wants to do and I know I tend to demand a high level of athleticism and performance that not all horses really feel inclined to (thank you Nick for enduring my Idiocy) and it's okay if they move on if they find the right place.

I think I'm so many hours away. I'm a hop from Wyoming. You're a bit more eastern. I'm lucky to be where I am. This country is surreal.

Also... Something golden hit the ground this am.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 · (Edited)
Another few and far between update that is 90% pictures and not that many of them.

Summer has gone. Many horses have been rode. I'm getting an MRI done and a neuropsych eval in the hopes of getting the old thinking box operational enough to get back to classes.

Nick has spent the summer doing a lot more jumping than usual, and it was honestly a nice break. Fletch is well on her way to being miss epic jumper pony- she's been to her first show and went home with 3rd place. Jumping .7m comfortably, and with her knees to her chin. She's very honest and she tries really hard to do the right thing.

For anyone wondering:
Purina mineral tub: 48cm high
Upright barrel: 95cm high
Front hood of an old ford truck: 82cm high (makes a great skinny/spooky jump)

I've finally acquired a trailer and it's not quite roadworthy yet- but I'm working on it with the help of an old Vietnam vet who's helping me out and showing me how to weld and wire.

The sheepwagon: it's on hold. Hoping to finish it by my birthday. Not a lot of work left to do but it's been on the backburner.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
Toasters? The Grand Canyon? Is Wyoming staffed by Satan's Army? Aren't you supposed to be studying?
A few answers for those curious what side of the planet I fell off of.

Because Covid, a bout of pretty nasty depression, ongoing concussion symptoms, and well 2020 imploded- I spent much of the last year living with my SO's mother out at their ranch. It was good for my soul. I got miss Mustang, and when I wasnt working or learning the ins and outs of a cattle operation (i fixed a lot of fence. whole lotta fence) I got to ride a lot. I also had disposable income- thus I purchased a lot of tack and actually got myself to some schooling shows and clinics.

Nick giving the 3' triple bar plenty of clearance. He's best suited to the dressage ring...

Fletch the mustang at a show

Mind you, the last few years has been a story of yours truly not having tack or trainers or arenas to work in sometimes. I love schooling my horse and riding dressage but I've learned not to have it be the end-all be-all of what I do with my horse because 1. I wasn't in the best place to pursue it with any intensity that would be fair to Pony Dearest and 2. Honestly not really showing any competitive nature with so much other fun things to be doing (read in- jumping, swimming, trails, feral mustangs, trekking, etc. etc. etc.) So we goofed off most of the summer and early fall with the occasional schooling ride thrown in that invariably ended in the creek playing splashy splash.

Summer was fun, so so fun, probably one of the best of my life.

Enter: the Grand Canyon in late September. A buddy and I decided on a whim to drive to see it when our days off eclipsed. We broke down and had to scrap the car in Salt Lake city. We called one of my best horse friends and she like the hero she is drove down and picked our sorry selves up, getting back at 2am and she going to work at 5am while we damsels in distress slept half the day away. To thank her I bought her two rides in an upcoming dressage clinic (a discipline I'd recently gotten her to try with her horse and she enjoyed), and because she didnt have a working trailer (axel broke while going to get my feral at the time mustang Miss Fletch) I signed myself up and we took the Ranch's gooseneck.

Well long story short, at that clinic I ended up being offered to come intern with the clinician. And because when the road forks- you take it. I started to plan a winter haul across the country with Nick to go and actually pursue this whole dressage thing.

Nick and I at the clinic in october
At the time of the clinic I had recently purchased the Toaster 2.0 and was about halfway through my restore. And I did not yet have a truck. So I spent October-September finishing that up. Enjoy the Photos, that whole restore could be a thread all to its self, but it wont be because I am a lazy writer.

Trailer Restoration Photos Click here

We started driving the second week of January, and because of the joys of trying to title a homemade restored trailer from the 70's with no title we left in not ideal weather and started a white knuckle trip across the country. I had my days planned at about 500 miles per day. The most we ended up doing was 430. Which brings me to Wyoming. Apparently the wind blows in Wyoming. Who knew? That state was supposed to occupy a day and a half of travel. It ended up being three. 200mph gusts, yours truly getting major ptsd from her past trailering accident, horrible truckers nearly killing us twice, and I was about in tears every night figuring out how on earth I was going to gather the courage to get behind the wheel the next day. Nick traveled like a champ and did everything we asked of him: eat, drink, poop, and load. Somehow we made it through the hell that was Wyoming and nearly kissed the ground when we hit nebraska. We quickly got off the interstate and pretty much drove the rest of the way on two lane highways and state roads since I dont think I will ever haul going over 70mph again in my life without hyperventilating and traffic makes me nervy. We stopped at a friend's halfway through nebraska and got some truck repairs done there and had a chance to rest and ride. My driving buddy- incidentally the same one who went on the disastrous Grand Canyon venture with me, got to try a ride on a little aqha mare, and Nick showed off exactly what doing nothing and eating straight alfalfa for days will do to an arabx and was a little fiery. A couple more blessedly uneventful days later we made it to our destination.

Just another one of the big rigs

My driving buddy flew home a few days after we arrived, and I settled in. Nick is in a herd of geldings, he has a round bale and he's learning a lot. When I'm not chopping ice, sweeping the aisleway or riding in between I do two classes online. Im getting to ride some pretty cool horses, some client, some the facility's, and some school masters. I'm loving one of the draft cross mares who's on my list and she's teaching me to appreciate a different type than Im used to. Besides her I have a wb mare, a few client horses, Nick obviously and a few others on my list. Though today- its so cold and miserable I'm sitting indoors and writing this til I go out for evening chores. Anyhow. Enjoy Pictures.

Snow photos, we took the horses out into one of the pastures on a beautiful day

I love riding this mare, shes a totally different type than I'm used to.

another fun mare, we found the "forward" going for gallop in the field

Nick schooling in the indoor. his leisurely days are over for awhile.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
This is so wonderful and amazing. Gorgeous pictures. Your trailer restore is awesome!!! You did so much work. You are so brave to go back and do the very thing that was so disastrous . . . with a similar trailer. Kudos to you. I am so glad to read that things are going well. The pictures show it.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
Working Student Thoughts
about a month and a half-ish in

My life is quite simple and basic at this point. Get up. Do barn chores. Ride horses. Do barn chores. Go to bed.

I could elaborate on what the training entails- but I think writing about dressage is about as interesting as watching paint dry. Go play with ponies. Or don't. Make them travel through and together. Or don't. As long as everyone involved is happy more power to you.

That said, I really like dressage, I like how zoned in it is. I like the creative possibilities it makes for how, where, and in what manner the horse goes. And I like being in a place where its a focus and I have help and the opportunity to ride a lot. I've gotten homesick- the sky is a whole lot closer here and there's no mountains, but I've been really really happy and enjoying myself, which is lovely because I think I've spent the last two years as a Depresso Bean if I'm honest. So its nice to want to get up in the morning again without manufacturing motivation. I am actually living closer to my SO now (he moved, then I moved) and I've gotten to see him twice, so we are slightly less distancey relationshipy than we were before, but it still involves some serious tanks of gas.

Nick- Going well, Is happy to come out and do the work as long as there's enough compensation (oatmeal cream pies) to warrant his effort. He's putting on some more muscle and is getting into actually having a consistent job that's not ran by my whimsy. We have the halfhearted goal of Prix St George. But again. I'm not actually competitive and I more just enjoy the riding. So we shall see. Also showing is expensive- which is a really really really good reason to not.

Pictures anyone?

301 - 320 of 334 Posts