The Horse Forum banner

321 - 334 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Wow Grace! 😎🤩🎃😀 I'm not that regular on HF anymore so I've only just read your update - which I thoroughly enjoyed. Really super trailer restoration. And those wonderful photos! 😍 Even before I got to the bit about your big move across country and why, I was thinking, as I always have looking at your journal in the past, how well you work with your horse and how incredibly well-balanced you are when riding. So I was not at all surprised that you got offered that internship. I'm sorry the trip across was so stressful - and glad that nothing untoward happened. I'm glad you're somewhere interesting and different and able to develop one of your many skill sets further. I hope you have lots of fun and many worthwhile experiences both in the horse setting and in other settings, on this particular adventure. ❤ Look after yourself. And your writing is always beautiful and honest and funny... keep in touch! Send us updates! 🌻🌟🌈🐙

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Ongoing Thoughts
from God's third pass hand me down to horses

Thanks @SueC , @gottatrot (she's percheron, TB and WB), @knightrider for checking in with me. Im not often on HF myself. Its in large part simply become a place to catalogue what on God's good earth I'm doing, and I do that rarely and sparsely when I do. When I have a spare minute I will try and catch up on everyone's journals and lives.

Assume I am dreadful, suckish and probably don't know what I am doing and have been doing it wrong for the last 20 years I've been on the back of a horse. The position that took me bareback at mach10 across the ranch's rough country and made me feel all chuffed up about my "seat"- well its not good enough; its under construction. The way I've been asking for shoulder fore? It interferes with flying changes; fix it. My following hands? Can they even fairly be called that? I am embracing being a shoddy rider, and they horses I'm riding are thanking me for it. They are going better, I'm becoming more tactful and coordinated and feeling and overall: less useless. I couldnt be more happy with my bad riding and the critique. It's getting so much better.

half pass, stirrupless on this amazing schoolmaster mare who has forgotten more about dressage than I will ever know.

As for Nick- the goal is get my 3rd level scores for my bronze with him and see if he wants to do my 4th and Prix St. George scores as well (lord pony must be willing to participate). 3rd is very doable, the changes (4s and 3s) for 4th and on I'm less confident on- but we've both learned and improved a lot and I have the opportunity to sit on schoolmasters now and again to get the feel of things. Nick did plant his feet about two weeks ago and went from schooling all the bits and pieces of the upper level stuff to being a zinging ping pong ball arab who wouldnt quit flipping his head and trying to take off. It's not uncommon for him to go a bit haywire in spring, but I think this is the first year I've actually cared because- yours truly is trying to achieve arbitrary accolades from the dressage gods (usdf). We went back to the basics. and we hit a few more trails and emphasized having fun and hopefully channeling a bit of the carefree, mildly intoxicated adventure feeling we had last summer. And we also changed how we warmed him up- all this has been for the good- and we're back to something that is a more participatory pony- yesterday schooling pirrouettes (my favorite. cause so so fun)

Nick, after two months of steady progress chipping towards solid 3rd and questionable 4th, threw in the towel and said "find some way to make me want to do this." So we went back to the basics. like walk trot canter on the bit basics. Because progress isn't the accumulation of skill but a cha-cha slide of epiphany and idiocy.

I have also caught saddle jealousy. This barn rides Countys. They are divine, and I've gotten to ride some wonderful small seat, short flap ones and have vowed when I'm rich and famous I will get myself one. But for now- my kids dressage saddle will just have to wander up the levels with me. I've put so much into the stubben to get it to fit Nick too I'll hard pressed to find something else to suit him short of custom saddle.

I could make this post longer- but well- Im quite lazy as a writer. Enjoy photos. At some point I want to talk in depth on "off breed" dressage horses and how theyre not "off breeds" at all. but. today is not that day.

Another draftx who is educating me.

Nick out hacking bareback. Training mixed with adventure keeps the pony contented. That and cookies.

Talent and desire comes in the most unexpected places- this mare is one of my hottest ferrari-esque rides. She wants to do the work so badly and comes out with incredible adjustability and quality. I would never have thought of a percheron as an up and coming dressage horse but to look over in the mirrors and to feel her makes me grin from ear to ear and rethink the fine and tall warmbloods.

This mare pushes my zen. Can I be an emotional sponge enough?

. Turns out piaffe/passage and the changes aren't the hard part its those niggling basics.

and the greenest of beans on my list. Its really cool to "discover" what's inherently excellent in a horse.

Green piaffe. Nick.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,826 Posts
Would you believe when I bought Izzy years ago, they threw in a short flap County Competitor with her, because it was tiny (16.5") and the short flaps didn't appeal to anyone else? I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I rode all over in that little saddle and eventually sold it to a mom whose daughter was starting in dressage. I have a real soft spot for them. They aren't so unreasonable used if you decide to splurge for yourself.

The pictures are gorgeous- what an adventure you're on!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
You are getting to ride some pretty awesome looking horses! And Nick is looking fantastic! Nice work!! I feel you on the Arab moments too. But I'm glad you know how to help Nick through it! I just wanted to say what a lovely rider you are! You say you're crap, but seriously you are goals from the pictures! And that little green bean is so adorable <3

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
@egrogan No chance she's looking to rehome that saddle again is she? I would bet something wide enough for a well sprung morgan would fit a similarly rotund Pony-dearest.

@Tazzie what is it they say? when you feel like the cleverest person in the room, its time to find a new room. I went through something similar when I started engineering school- here were us a pile of the smart kids in highschool, probably the top 3% and suddenly you found yourself being the dunce on the stool in the corner. I'm glad I dont have to feel clever to be okay anymore- especially now since the brain box now runs at about 40% efficiency.. Long story short I drove across the country to be told to look up, ride inside leg to outside rein, and count.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I love that saying! And I understand it completely. I've gotten shredded over the last year and still working to improve on myself. But seriously, I love all the pictures you posted. Nick is just the cutest little guy and I LOVE that trot picture of him (the one you posted about the niggling basics)! It's overall just a wonderful snapshot of you guys! I do so hope you post more often (though it sounds like you're swamped!) I just love following yours and Nick's journey!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
An update from the tired tired working student.
overview: pulled the trigger on a new saddle. the pony went lame. The pony went unlame. The pony sucks at breathing. New pony. Another new pony. Big horses too. To show or not to show? That is the question.

This entry may be a bit of a fly by. But I can hopefully cover most of the important details.

I bought a new saddle a month back. A check came from the state of Montana- I'm assuming some kind of stimulus and I spent it on a saddle, trading in my stubben juventus for a Ryder Zara, similarish styles, except the Zara has more cushy and raised panels, a slightly different seat and cost 4x more than the stubben. I figure with 3rd/4th levels looming, maybe I should upgrade and Pony dearest was throwing enough behavioral issues (X halt, leaping rear) that it was time for something different. The Zara had a 7 day trial, and day 1 it got the pony stamp of approval when he went gloriously and then continued to be his glorious self.

And then the blasted creature went three legged lame and his leg blew up like a balloon. I saw all my Grand prix dreams dashed on the rocks of equestrian bad luck, but a week later after being locked in a stall with poultice, wraps and ice boots round the clock, he came out completely sound, so turned him back out and away we went. He's also allergic this lush eastern greenery and keeping the heavey pony not heavey has been a feet of management and supplements and I'm assuming the tears and prayers have done something too.

Now he's back to work and going splendidly, except for when he doesn't- I'm assuming to remind me that if I want his cooperation- I better keep the oatmeal cream pies coming.

Anyhow. Here he is looking like a civilized beast.

Also- since I adore the ponies, we have a fjord in for training. He is such a good kid and I love everything about him, even if his canter comes out the box feeling like a vienna-sausage hurtling through space.

There's also a welsh that just arrived and is in for training. No photos of him at present. But he is as endearing as a little Welsh could be.

Things above 14.2 hands:
Yes warmbloods and drafts still abound maybe I can find some photos. Also foals: I never want to breed ever. I will buy things on the ground.

Showing: my dreams may be slightly larger than my pocketbook and mayhap we will not get out and show.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Nick is looking so good! Any idea what happened to make him lame? I'm glad he's not anymore! Also glad he approves of his new saddle :)

Your other steeds are so pretty too! And that foal looks adorable!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #333 ·
That's so exciting!! That's a goal of mine to do one year! I've heard a lot of awesome things about it! Good luck! I can't wait to hear how Nick and the Fjord do <3
It should be fun. I'm not particularly inspired to compete, but ponies are kinda my thing, so if I'm going to get out and do it- might as well be pony cup.

321 - 334 of 334 Posts