The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mare Dancer, is extremely dangerous, she enjoys shoving me around and biting my fingers, she is unsafe to lead and ride and I don't know what to do, she is mean to My beautiful Blessing boy too.
I have tried training her, I am going to sell her to someone locally, someone who deals with problem horses.

I love this horse and she is sweet, just VERY pushy.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Definitely time to either sell her to someone who can train her or seek professional help.

If you really want to keep her you can probably find a trainer in your area that deals with problem horses and send her there. If she's permanently scarred you then it may be time for her to move on to a new home.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
She has no respect...and sounds like your intimidated by her. What she really needs is a CTJM and some serious ground work. If you know a trainer or somebody who knows how to work with a disrespectful and pushy horse...send her there for a while to get her RESPECTING people again.

Reactions: Palomine

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
you are horribly humanizing your horses. He is not a "Gentleman" he is a submissive type horse in with a very dominant lead mare. You are in the same category as the gelding, so she is treating you the same.

this is likely not a "problem" horse, just a dominant mare that ended up with an owner that cant handle her.

I'm not trying to be mean, I just want to be realistic.

·
Registered
37,004 Posts
Herd dynamics is one thing, and the character of a horse when near other horses, however, you are in danger and clearly your "have tried to train her" has been completely useless. When you sell her to someone warn them that she has problems, or invest in a trainer beforehand to get her like a horse should be.
I never understand those, who let their horses shove them around or nip them.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
It sounds like she's in charge which SHOULD be easy enough to fix. HOWEVER fixing it at this point will be very dangerous and should only be attempted by someone who knows what they are doing because 1) she will probably get worse before she gets better and 2) discipline (such as a smack with a crop or whatever) will probably be met with a fight (her kicking out). I hesitate to give you advice over the internet for those reasons. I don't think she is "dangerous" I think she is a dominant mare who over many small things has been allowed to become dominant over you and it will only get worse if you don't get help, for her and for you to handle her (and will only help your other horse too). While I don't think she is a dangerous horse the fact of the matter is she is dangerous to you at this point in time I would be very careful handling her (I'm sure you already are). Without seeing how they act my bet is she is just "normally" dominant with the other horse, which he should be able to handle and doing the same thing to you, which a human cannot and should not be able to handle. YOU are in charge not her, and remember that when dealing with any horse. They do exactly what you want exactly when you want it. If you want to give them treats even, it's because YOU want to not because they want you to (and if they are pushy I quickly change my mind). Sounds like she used to be a sweet horse, but right now alpha mare has taken over. Don't trust her. As far as biting your FINGERS why?? Does she only do this when you treat her? (DO NOT treat her if so!) Fingers is very specific so I was wondering why. If you could get a video maybe of her interactings with Blessing so we can see her bullying, and maybe you with Blessing (groundwork) so we can see how you interact. Don't get yourself hurt just so we can see a video of you with her!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yikes! Please do sell her or seek professional help. You are in a horribly dangerous situation. That mare REALLY needs to be taught ground manners by someone with the confidence to handle her. You need to be the BOSS. No question about it. If that can't happen, that mare isn't suitable for you.

Some advice if you want to keep working with her -
1. Do NOT let her nip you. Give her a good smack if she does and make her MOVE. Make her back out of your space, yield her hind quaters away from you, or anything to show her that what she did is unacceptable.
2. Teach her that unless you invite her into your space or you enter her's, she MUST stay a couple feet away from you. If she steps toward you, back her up.
3. Be firm and consistent with her. Don't let her get away with something one day and reprimand her for it the next.
4. Please get a trainer.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
How the heck does she shove you to the ground and you still call her sweet? That is VERY disrespectful and flat out dangerous!
Oh I don't know, the mare probably is sweet when people are doing what they're told, just her behaviour towards OP isn't! And the mare is probably only doing it to try to teach OP to be more 'respectful' & obedient!:wink:

Welcome Sounds like a good, right decision to sell the horse, as it sounds like she's too much for you OP. It would be a good move IMO if you learn more about horse behaviour & find yourself a trainer or instructor to teach you how to be assertive & consistent, & therefore safer with horses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.