The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it bother you when people say horse riding isnt a sport?
It makes me really mad:evil:

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I guess its like anything that is also a recreational pastime. Playing catch in the yard may not be called a sport, but a regulation baseball game is. Does that make sense?
Same, a leisurely trail ride is not the same as a competitive endurance or trail ride. The later may be called a sport but the walk through the woods would not in my opinion.
I guess if there is no competition I don't consider it a sport.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my opinion two things classify a sport, physical activity and competition.

It does bother me after I get off my horse and I am sweating as much as he is, that's physical activity.

And as far as competition whether at a show or riding at the barn there is always a sense of wanting to be the best that you can be, being better than the next rider. Perhaps that's only me, I have a pretty competitive personality.

Sure some people only trail ride but than a lot of people only kick a soccer ball around for some fun, soccer is still a sport. I just try to remember that when someone says that riding isn't a sport chances are they've never really 'rode' a horse.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree w/ the first two answers alot!

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Nope! If it bothered me every time someone said something I did not totally agree with I would spend lots of time being bothered.

I agree with Emmy and Vidaloco.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
It used to, now I just smile and feel sorry for the poor, misinformed soul who said it.

FWIW I don't consider playing poker or competitive eating 'sports', but some people do.

I've often wondered how gluttony (which is one of the 7 deadly sins) is now something to aspire after? :???:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The thing is..most of the people that say it have never been on a horse in their life! so they seem kinda stupid saying it:D

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
So instead of getting upset about it try to explain how much work riding a horse can be if you do it regularly, etc.

Otherwise let them be clueless and smile.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
o..i dont blow up at anyone, dont get me wrong here:D It can just be agitating:)

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I had a friend who used to tell me that all the time...then I put him on my horse. He couldn't walk straight for a week. He hasn't said it since!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I had a friend who used to tell me that all the time...then I put him on my horse. He couldn't walk straight for a week. He hasn't said it since!
Though there's a difference between being "saddle-sore" from over-using muscle groups that a person doesn't normally use, and the amount of exercise a person gets once they become a practiced rider. (Not that I really am one yet :))

Before I got talked into getting a horse myself, I'd go along on trail rides with my horse-riding friends (they'd ride, I'd hike & run along with them), and I have to say they sure never looked as though they were sweating & breathing hard, or getting near as much exercise as the horses & I were.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I also don't like it when people say it's not a sport. There is not a doubt in my mind horse riding is a sport. But I just ignore when people say that now, at least I know that it's a sport!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree that it comes under physical activity (general riding, schooling, trekking etc) and sport (competition - eventing, sj, dressage etc).
You can't really call trekking a sport, however endurance riding is.
Next thing that peeves me off is when people then refer to my horse as a piece of sporting equipment! No he aint!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You might also think about what exactly you're asking when you ask whether riding is a sport. Golf, croquet, sitting in a blind and shooting ducks - all these are considered sports, but they don't require any significant amount of exercise. So by that definition, riding is a sport. But whether it's really exercise I think depends on how you go about it.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I don't get angry. I just say you give it a go and tell me how it goes for ya. That normally shuts them up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.