The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive my mini mare, Ruby and every time she goes out in her cart, especially while trotting, the cart bounces all over the place. We got the cart for free. It was used on a fjord but we got the shafts bent in to fit Ruby. Why is this happening?

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Posting a picture would be helpfull. Does sound strang that you could uses a Fjord cart on a mini.
Terrain and the horses trotting will also cause bouncing. Too many unknown to give an educated answer

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're using a horse sized cart on a mini???

Is it two wheel or four wheel?

If it's two wheel, this cart is NOT balanced for her and you should find a proper sized cart.

If it's four wheel, sure hope it's light enough for her!
It is a 2 wheel

·
Registered
634 Posts
it sounds like it is a home made cart with no suspension ,but your own weight, should stop it bouncing,but if you mean its a hard uncomfortable drive ,it does sound like a lack of suspension,[springs or shockers]

·
Registered
968 Posts
My cart is really bouncy when I'm in it alone. Rides fine when I have more weight/a passenger in it. (not really what you want to do driving a mini, I'm just saying.. I know the feeling of a bouncy cart.)

I also think it's strange that you can fit a horse cart to a mini. Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My cart is really bouncy when I'm in it alone. Rides fine when I have more weight/a passenger in it. (not really what you want to do driving a mini, I'm just saying.. I know the feeling of a bouncy cart.)

I also think it's strange that you can fit a horse cart to a mini. Do you have pictures?
It bounces when her back raises and I think there might be too much pressure on her back causing the cart to bounce. I dont have pics but I can prob. get some. All we did was bent the shafts in

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I would guess a lot of the problem you are having is due to the fact that the cart is not really fit for the horse you are using it on. Simply bending the shafts does not a mini-cart make.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would guess a lot of the problem you are having is due to the fact that the cart is not really fit for the horse you are using it on. Simply bending the shafts does not a mini-cart make.
Wasnt my idea lol. You think we can overhaul it to fit?

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
You tell if it is balanced by holding the shafts level and someone sits in it. It shouldn't be heavy on the shafts but balanced. When hooked to the mini the shafts should be level if not then you can tell if it is leaning down and putting too much pressure on pony then it is too big

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You tell if it is balanced by holding the shafts level and someone sits in it. It shouldn't be heavy on the shafts but balanced. When hooked to the mini the shafts should be level if not then you can tell if it is leaning down and putting too much pressure on pony then it is too big
ok, thx!:D

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Please read what CheyAut has said. She raises minis and drives them competitively - in short, she knows her stuff. As she has said, your cart is not designed for use with a mini. No amount of retrofitting is going to change that fact. Your horse is best served by using equipment that is meant for use with her.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I drive my mini mare, Ruby and every time she goes out in her cart, especially while trotting, the cart bounces all over the place. We got the cart for free. It was used on a fjord but we got the shafts bent in to fit Ruby. Why is this happening?

You are going to get a bounce with all carts. Depending on the horse their action and how you are harnessed it's hard to say without a photo.Does the cart have springs? Shaft loops secured down could be one problem. Shafts to high or to low another.
With a four wheeled vehicle you don't get a bounce because the shafts connect to the axle and shafts are able to move up and down without carrying the bounce to the carriage.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts