The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is a filly called a mare? Honestly am having a brain cramp. Is it when they have foaled, or is it at a certain age? Sorry to sound so stupid, but I honestly can't remember! :shock:

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
IDK exactly what age it is...but a mare is an adult female horse. They are considered mares even if they never have a baby.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I think the cutoff age for a filly is 4, unless she has a foal before then. Or maybe it is 4 regardless of whether she has had a foal........ too complicated LOL.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
over here in ireland could be classed different in different parts of the world but anyway a filly is not a filly anymore once she reaches the age of 4 just as a colt that has not been gelded is a stallion at the age of four and if a mare has had a foal and is being used for foaling she is called a broad mare

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
A filly is a female horse under the age of 4.
A mare is an adult female horse (four and over)
A broodmare is a mare used for breeding.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
But, is a filly who pops out a colt at 2 or 3 (one-time thing, not a broodmare) still considered a filly?? Or is she now a Mare??

That is what always confused me. LOL.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
As far as I have ever known, she would be a filly. The name is purely an age thing. Of course, I tend to call anything over 2 a mare.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all! Really hate these brain glitches! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts