The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In May, Kiya will be coming back to Colorado.. Whether we decide to buy a trailer and bring her back ourselves or hire a shipping company to do it is yet to be decided.

But, I know she'll need a brand inspection to come into the state. I have no idea what a brand inspection is or why it's needed. Who performs it? How much does it normally cost? What does it consist of?

Thank you all - you're the best! :D

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Where is the horse coming from?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I don't anything about KY. Your best bet would be to call KY Dept. of AG and talk to someone in the livestock identification office. They could tell you what is required and who to call for a brand inspection.
They might have a website as well, I'd look for you but I'm on my phone and it's a pain.. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
You get one once you get here. You provide the BI your Coggins paper showing that the horse originated from a non brand state and he will issue one at that time. You travel on just your Coggins and health certificate.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
A brand inspection is designed to prove rightful ownership of any livestock. It supersedes breed registration papers and a bill of sale for proof of ownership. It is run by the Department of Agriculture. The last time I did one for a sale it was $18 and to get a permanent travel card (good idea if you show, plan on traveling more than 75 miles away from home on a regular basis, camp on NF lands) It was an additional $25. It's a few $$ more but not sure how much more. (less than $10) They create a record of your horse's distinguishing markings and any brands it has as well as breed type, age, tattoos, microchips ... to identify it if it's every an astray.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I got a brand inspection recently in Cheyenne WY... It was $25 they came to us.

Fort Collins CO was $20 but, I went to the livestock auction where the brand inspectors office is located.

Both were just a carbon copy of basically a description of the horse including markings, color, brands, stuff like that...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.