The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Christmas I got new tall boots. I have had tall boots before but these just are not dropping! They are Ariat Challenge II zip field boots. They have elastic laces (which look GREAT by the way).

However, they have the long Spaininsh top and they are supposed to drop but are not no matter what I do! I have worn them with layers and done stretches for 2 full days now and they have not dropped at all! (I am pointing and flexing my toes in them as I type!)

Does anyone else have these boots and have this problem or is it just me? Does anyone have another idea to break them in and make them drop or am I stuck with high tall boots?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
612 Posts
My boots took a good week to break in and a month to be truely broken in - so my suggestion is just keep riding in them - they do give (My friend has te ariat field ones and they gave)

You could go to a saddlery and get some leather stretching spray which does help (ive used that) some shoe places do stretch leather for you but I personally dont recommend that cause I have heard some horror stories about how they stretch them

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Yayyy new boots! They r always great to get! The breaking in part sucks, I just wore mine EVERYWHERE. And riding, I got blisters, but they gave:D btw it was a different type of boot

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I have the identical boots, I walked around in them for one day. Rode in them the next, there fine now.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It took me a good while to break in my tall boots when I bought them. I wore them everywhere, to school, lunch, rode in them everyday. It's the riding that really gets that ankle to drop.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I trick I learned from when I was in the army, many years ago when we still wore leather jump boots haha (phew am I ever old)... :

Fill a bath tub with hot water, put your boots in there. Once the water has cooled down enough that you can stand in it (still as hot as you can stand it without burning of course) put your jods on with a thick pair of socks, put your boots on wet. Get a good magazine and sit til the water is cool. take your boots off, and stuff them with hot wet towels, drain the water from the bath and stand your boots up with the towels in them. The next day - give them a good going over with good boot polish.

Has worked for me every time.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I trick I learned from when I was in the army, many years ago when we still wore leather jump boots haha (phew am I ever old)... :

Fill a bath tub with hot water, put your boots in there. Once the water has cooled down enough that you can stand in it (still as hot as you can stand it without burning of course) put your jods on with a thick pair of socks, put your boots on wet. Get a good magazine and sit til the water is cool. take your boots off, and stuff them with hot wet towels, drain the water from the bath and stand your boots up with the towels in them. The next day - give them a good going over with good boot polish.

Has worked for me every time.
that GENUIS! lol i am going to use that trick!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I will try putting them in water. I've heard about people doing that. But I have a question: I thought tall boots should not get wet inside? Is ok for the leather?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I think I will try putting them in water. I've heard about people doing that. But I have a question: I thought tall boots should not get wet inside? Is ok for the leather?
im pretty sure its fine for the leather... but maybe check the tags or ad or somethign to make sutre thosse boots are ok for water

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I personally wouldn't put my Ariats in water. But that's just me :D I walk up and down steps for a while and that usually sinks the back in a bit to where they are bearable.

·
Registered
892 Posts
It's worked on my Ariats lol but everyone is different!

When your boots start getting dry (you'll see a little white on your leather) that's when you'll need to start putting the polish on, and be very generous with it. Wear your boots around and polish, polish, polish.

Of course - check your care instructions too. I've done this with about 4 sets of tall boots and every pair of leather boots I've owned.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Lol!
Good dress boots can take months to break in. I have scars just from my crappy ones. You guys are lucky you get to wear soft boots!!!
The best thing is to grab some sponges for behind your knees and go riding! Also doing stairs can help. And remember to wear a good pair of socks to avoid rubbing in the ankle area and purchase some moleskin!
Good luck

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok! I lead a pony(at a trot) through a little hunter course and that helped a lot. It was good exercise too! Then I rode a horse through the course a few times and they are much more comfortable now!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Lol!
Good dress boots can take months to break in.
Interesting, the nicer the field boot the easier to break in! Do dress boots not ever come in calf skin or anything?

The best way to break in your boots is usage. Cover your feet in moleskin and wear them everywhere and ride as much as you can.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Interesting, the nicer the field boot the easier to break in! Do dress boots not ever come in calf skin or anything?

The best way to break in your boots is usage. Cover your feet in moleskin and wear them everywhere and ride as much as you can.
Dress boots (the good ones at least) sound like wood when you knock on them and can be 1/8" thick. To have them in calf skin would defeat their purpose.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
They just had a thread about the bath tub trick on another form I've joined. The general consensus was warm water is fine, stand in the water untill you can just feel the inside is wet, then just wear the boots untill they dry. If you take them off before they dry, they will shrink. If you stay in the water untill the boots are completely soaked, they take forever to dry.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have those boots. They have more or less broken in fairly quickly just from wearing and riding a few times. Have you actually worn them to ride in yet - that did the trick for me.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think my ariat's are the same as those, I would have to check which design to be sure. I just put them on and started to ride in them. I wore them around for a bout a week or so (not riding) and they never gave me any sore's and are pretty comfy!
They were not inexpensive and I was concerned about the break in part, but was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to get them supple.
Halfpass

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.