The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I dont have a round pen but I do have a small paddock. What do you mean by breaking? How old is the animal you want to break/work? I normally work with my filly anywhere. But when it comes to working her by herself I have a small paddock that she can work in. It would be so much nicer if I had a round pen but because I dont and cant afford one, I do with what I have.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I had a round pen but dont anymore. What I do now is just a lot of halter work. I have saddled him with the halter as well, until he is a little older (he is 2.5) and I have someone hold the halter while I try and ride.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm not sure I understand why one needs a round pen to start a horse. Any kind of mostly level, fences yard will do. o_O
Posted via Mobile Device
Often it is more for the human's peace of mind than anything to do with the horse. Does a round pen make some things easier? Sometimes. Is it necessary? No.

I can't talk, I love using roundpens :)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm assuming you are talking about longing? If you longe a horse, it needs to be well halter broke first.

What exactly are you trying to do with your horse? How old is it? How much previous handleing has it had?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.