The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
o.k. in the last thread i posted that my saddle was slipping and they said that i needed a breastcollar. what type of breastcollar will keep my saddle in place and will allow my horse to get over the jumps? what type of material is best? any help would be great!!!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The top one My Beau posted is a great kind. The kind My Beau posted below is NOT good! I read an article written by George Morris where he mentioned that they're dangerous as most people put them on too tight, which restricts their horse's air supply any time they put their head down and they can pass out! A few days later my vet mentioned it and when I asked further he said they're very dangerous because when the horse passes out, it's very sudden. Like one moment they're standing, the next they're on the ground. And he said it happens more frequently then people are willing to admit. Yikes.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
As most people have said you want a breastplate - not a breastcollar. Breastcollars are mostly used on the racetrack although you do see the odd one in the SJ arena

For SJ a simple elasticated breastplate will do the job - here is one I made last week , haven't got a pic of it on a horse as it's still in the post
Chain Fashion accessory Metal

Fashion accessory Leather Horse tack

Customer wanted a sheepskin pad, padded witherstrap with a pretty pattern stitched in, so they were extra.

If you are going to do eventing then lots of people have a 5-point breastlpate - here is my mare Ingrid modeling the one I made last year
Horse tack Bridle Horse Rein Horse harness

Bridle Horse Halter Horse tack Hair

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think My Beau loves Nunn Finer xD

It honestly does not matter. I got my breastplate at a consignment shop for ten dollars and it was in pretty darn good condition. Most breastplates are very adjustable.

So what I suggest is taking a horsey friend who knows about breastplates to a consignment store and buy one, take it home and adjust it to your horse with your horsey friend helping you adjust it right and remember exactly how they work it. Then just use it every time you ride.

I can't ride without my breastplate because one horse has big withers and is round and the other one is just round so I slide :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
YES! PLEASE DONT USE A BREAST GIRTH! The only person I know who uses one is an intermediate level eventer who uses it out on the XC and knows ecaxtly how to adjust it. Everyone I've talked to said that they can be very dangerous.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I use the Nunn Finer Hunting Breasplate with elastic that My Beau posted. I have had it for years and it's so great! LOVE Nunn Finer!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Hehe, I do like Nunn Finer's stuff. It's affordable and made with excellent craftsmanship! But, they were merely examples, you can buy them from wherever you would like.

And breastcollars are not inherently bad... I assumed she would get one if she knew how to adjust it correctly, which she might, you never know :) And I linked the wither strap for it because there is less of a chance of it impeding the airway when that is used because that make it sit in a total different position.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.