The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
To the OP: Don't bother listening to the breed bigots and find a horse that is right for you. Don't limit your search to ponies as finding a well broke one is difficult and likely more expensive than a larger horse. You need a horse that is old and well trained. Don't worry about conformation, sex, size, breed or color. Worry about the amount and quality of the training the horse has. Find someone that is knowledgable and let them help you find the proper horse for you.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Yeah, your trainer and I are on the same page where Paints are concerned. I've known some tough minded horses, but the Paint breed seems to excel in this area. About the toughest nuts to crack.

I would bet that you don't have alot of experience with the paint breed either. If you have worked with just a handfull of individuals of a certain breed you shouldn't be pigeon holing the entire breed.

I also have to agree with Eastowest that you are wrong about AQHA blood in APHA horses. Do more research before offering definative advice to beginners please.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Not any more. If there isn't a number of registered QH's in the first three generations, you're talking apples and oranges.

Because of the need to specialize to excel in the various disciplines, the QH and Paint look nothing alike conformationally. In fact, within the QH breed itself, you will see a large variance in conformation.

The Paint and QH are no longer the same horse. It's like saying the Lusitano and the Andalusian are the same horse. Umm....no, they aren't.

In other threads I have agreed with you but you are totally wrong on this one. There is some variance in the different types of quarter horses depending on the use but paints and QH's compete in the exact same disciplines and often compete directly against each other in reining and cutting. In an earlier post on this thread there was posted world champion paints that have qh blood in them. Why don't you post a paint pedigree that doesn't have a qh in three generations? I have never seen one. The APHA doesn't recognize enough of a difference in the two breeds to prevent a qh from siring paint colts so they apperantly disagree with you also.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Thank you! ;-) Here, have a look at my mare's lineage...

Coosas Playgirl Paint

Check out all those QH's! (including Coosa and Impressive) ;-)
Twenty five out of thirty horses in the last generation listed are quarter horses and exactly half of the rest of the pedigree are qhs. Thank you for sharing that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.