The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know about the sorry practice in Canada and some western states of breeding horses purposely for MEAT??

This is an ad from last week's Western Producer an agricultural paper from Saskatoon, Sask. YOUNG BRED PERCHERON MARES IN FOAL to a big stud. Will produce Japan type colt. 204-436-2571 Elm Creek, Manitoba.

Another ad reads FOR SALE OR LEASE bred belgian and percheron mares, 3 to 10 years old, large framed and EVAtested, colt repurchase option available. We are also purchasing open and bred belgian and percheron mares with above specifications. 360-458-7788 Yelm, Washington

These colts are finished to the desired weight, then shipped by Air Canada out of the Calgary International Airport for Japan. The colts are raised drug free. They are butchered and the meat is eaten raw much like Sushi. It sells for $20.00 a pound so only the rich can afford it.

It's bad enough that the other young animals are butchered for their meat but somehow it seems worse to do the same to horses.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree. Horses are smart, they think and have emotions and feelings. Like dog, we have a difficult time thinking that our beloved horses could end up on someones plate...but that is how different cultures do things. Sad but true.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That is horrible. How can ANYONE do that? I would say more, but I would be scared of what I would say... :(

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
There are all kinds of people. Like the ones that come to a new message board and their first post is about slaughter or some other controversal subject.

Most of the time we never see hide nor hair of them after.:wink:

I keep thinking of typhoid annie.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I really don't see a problem in slaughter. Raising for slaughter I do. I think it falls together in the category or basically eating meat. I really don't care and think we need it. We don't need to breed for it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
That is horrible. How can ANYONE do that? I would say more, but I would be scared of what I would say... :(
Well honestly I just don't think the Japanese culture has the same relationship with equines as we do. For Americans (and many other cultures) they have been transportation, workers and even companions they served a huge purpose and were simply TO valuable to eat. That relationship has evolved and now we see theme as athletes and friends. But thats a WHOLE lot of history that lead up to where we are. I just don't know that they formed the same attachment as a society.

So I can see why it doesn't bother them.

That doesn't mean I think it's exceptable but in the US we raise cattle, sheep, pigs, fish, etc FOR the specific purpose of eating them...and that doesn't bug me at all and I haven't ever tasted red meat in my life lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
When ever I go to my cabin I have to pass 2 of those farms to get there. I used to get really upset about the fact that horses are raised and slaughtered. But as I got older I relized Its sad but no matter what I do It's still going to happen. So I just try not to think about it.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Anytime I think of a horse being slaughtered, my own horse comes to mind and the whole thing makes me sick. I even made my sister swear that if anything ever happened to me that she would keep Major for the rest of his life, even if she just retires him to the pasture. It's sad that horses are bred for slaughter, but IMO it's worse that they are trained, used and then later sold for slaughter when the owner can't afford them or gets bored with them or sells them to someone for way to cheap (who ends up selling them at kill sales). We have a horse trader in our community that buys horses here all winter and then hauls them to the kill sales to be sold for slaughter. Some of these horses even have fresh shoes on. I did business with him before I found out what he does. He seems like a very nice guy and takes good care of the horses on his property. I very nearly traded my horse to him, because my horse had so many fear issues and he was making me scared of him. The only thing that stopped me is that I felt like I could not get rid of my horse until I had exhausted all efforts to help him. I hired a trainer and found out how to help him (and me) and got to work on it and found out he is a great horse. You have to be very careful when selling a horse, especially if you are giving him away, selling him at under kill sale value or taking him to horse sales. I guess considering this topic you need to be careful when you are selling a horse for breeding purposes also. Geez, at $20 a pound I guess there are a lot of horses that are worth more as meat :shock: :cry:

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I do not see the big deal.... cows feel and think too, yet you have no problem seeing their cute furry backsides thrown on the grill.... I think it is time to grow up and face reality that animals are eaten, even the ones you personally choose to like.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Well, it seems they have found a way to make a decent profit or they wouldn't do it. It is not out of of malice or hatred of the horse, it is that they place money over the horse. It is valid. Not everyone cares about horses like the people on a horse forum.

Out of sheer curiosity I wonder how much those horses cost in the end, at $20 per pound. Just as I wonder how much the cow that was made into the very expensive, very tasty jerky is worth in the end.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I do not see the big deal.... cows feel and think too, yet you have no problem seeing their cute furry backsides thrown on the grill.... I think it is time to grow up and face reality that animals are eaten, even the ones you personally choose to like.

I have to agree with this. The thing I think that bothers people most about it (including me) is that we are not used to seeing herds of horses being fattened up for slaughter like cattle. Its just not common. Doesnt mean that we shouldnt face up to the hard facts that some animals are eaten. But we must rest in the fact that our horses are safe and sound with us. :lol: At least I can take comfort in that.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I agree completely Curly Horse CMT. Horses are livestock plain and simple. I have my pet horse,I love him and he is safe in my care, but I cannot own every horse nor would I want to. Those animals are raised to feed people, no matter if it is only for the rich. They are raised as food and not cute and cuddly pets so it is not like they know anything about human love anyway and are missing their people or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Last time I checked horses were classified as livestock. Its not a big deal people. Its not like someone is breeding true companion animals for human consumption.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
When is the last time you saw someone riding a cow and driving a herd of horses? To many people horses are truly service animals and to many others they are companions and friends. To me that is what separates them from the animals used for meat.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I have seen people ride cows. I know a true ******* of a boy(he fits the stereotype) who has a deep love of the long horn. He will never eat a long horn, and told me he'd be sick if he ever found out he did. That doesn't stop him from tearing into an Angus steak.

What I like about this person's operation is that his horses are free of chemicals. There is no chance of any drug, or unwanted, potentially harmful substance to be carried over through the meat.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Those horses have a far nicer life from the horses point of view than any of our horses. They never have to work they are never forced to do anything. They get handled with care and fed only the best feed. Then one day they walk up an alley and through a door and the lights go out. Sounds like a pretty good life to me. Way better than being halter broke then broke to ride only to find themselves getting thier mouth jerked on by some whiny tenyear old girl who thinks she has a gift with horses. If you consider it from a horses view it is really not a bad life. Not to mention that horses are no smarter than cows and considerably dumber than pigs and no more self-aware than either of them.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
It's not a big deal. Horses are livestock, just like cows, pigs, and whatever. Some people ride cows, some people form attachements to cows like we do horses, yet it doesn't seem to bother them that cows are slaughtered for meat. It certainly doesn't bother me that horses are slaughtered, I'm pro-slaughter myself.

Horses aren't people, no matter how much we humanize them. They are, at best, pets, 'friends', and companions, like dogs.

I've often said, and still say, that if it ever comes down to a time when I can not take care of my horses, and can't sell or give them to a good home, I'd send them to slaughter myself because I would rather them be killed and their parts/meat used than I would sell them and see them suffering on down the line from neglect or abuse.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Horses are livestock. If someone else wants to breed and raise them (to loose money since we all know it can not be profitable) for slaughter it is their business. It is not like they are trying to take Dobbin from your back yard.

I personally like meat. I am no more going to tell someone who raises horses for meat that they can not than I am going to tell someone who raises pigs, goats, chickens, or bovines.

And like was pointed out, the person who started this thread is a troll so do not let it get your panties too bunched.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.