The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my haflinger mare, Annie. she is my first horse and I've been told she a very nice mare, but I don't know, because it was mostly by my mothers friends. i really want a foal but i know you should never breed unless both the mare and stallion are able to advance the breed. So I'm just wondering if you all think she's good enough to a good foal or not? I don't have a front picture of her legs right now but ill get them in a bit. View attachment 1110397 View attachment 1110398 View attachment 1110399 View attachment 1110400 View attachment 1110401

·
Registered
406 Posts
Don’t breed just to breed. If you don’t know what you’re doing you could end up losing both foal and dam. If you want another horse find one that’s already born and looking for a home.
no one can tell you from a picture if she’s a good candidate. Backyard breeding is one of the reasons there are so many problems out there. Just enjoy your mare for who she is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t breed just to breed. If you don’t know what you’re doing you could end up losing both foal and dam. If you want another horse find one that’s already born and looking for a home.
no one can tell you from a picture if she’s a good candidate. Backyard breeding is one of the reasons there are so many problems out there. Just enjoy your mare for who she is.
well i have experience with breeding, we've had many foals and the foal would go onto be a cow horse for my family (i know its weird for a haflinger but she's a great worker) like their mother, she's a very good minded mare even during heats. I'm not breeding just for breeding its just that we really want her to pass her brain over to her foal, she's got great bloodlines goes back to nobleman of tudor oaks and all of her paternal siblings have gone on to be show horses. im just wondering if she looks ok conformationally, because i always get my judgement clouded by loving them too much so all I see is cute.

·
Registered
406 Posts
You said this is your, ‘first horse and you’re told this is a nice mare, but you don’t know’. That speaks volumes in my book and is a red flag waving inexperience. Just because someone comments on how nice the horse looks and has a great temperament is still not enough reason to breed. There is no guarantee the foal will posses the same qualities.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Do Haflingers have inspections like other European breeds? They might be able to point you in the right direction with regards to conformation, her strong points, her weak points, which stallions that would compliment her. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You said this is your, ‘first horse and you’re told this is a nice mare, but you don’t know’. That speaks volumes in my book and is a red flag waving inexperience. Just because someone comments on how nice the horse looks and has a great temperament is still not enough reason to breed. There is no guarantee the foal will posses the same qualities.
she's MY first horse, we have had horses in my family for generations, i've never bred before but i've helped with my grandfathers studs for years and birthing and handling of foals, but i have truly never been able to grasp what makes a good mare conformationally. and yes she's a nice mare but i was talking more personality wise. but yea thank you for your input i know shes probably not the greatest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do Haflingers have inspections like other European breeds? They might be able to point you in the right direction with regards to conformation, her strong points, her weak points, which stallions that would compliment her. Just a thought.
they have them over in america but im in canada and cant really get her over the border. And even then theres not very many and there mostly way down south.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Would you breed her to another haflinger? How old is she, as age influences fertility rates. Would you do AI or live cover? What is your budget for breeding and your planned expenses for vet bills?

Her back legs look very straight which can predispose to hock arthritis, but is often a more common trait in drafty breeds.

I don't see any terrible flaws in her conformation. I'm a firm believer in only breeding the best of the best.

This is a nice stallion if you are in the U.S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would you breed her to another haflinger? How old is she, as age influences fertility rates. Would you do AI or live cover? What is your budget for breeding and your planned expenses for vet bills?

Her back legs look very straight which can predispose to hock arthritis, but is often a more common trait in drafty breeds.

I don't see any terrible flaws in her conformation. I'm a firm believer in only breeding the best of the best.

This is a nice stallion if you are in the U.S.

yes i would be breeding her too another haflinger, she's almost five. my family usually use live cover, but we're open to ai. i really can go with whatever i need to in order too get good healthy foal and dam on the ground. and i know that is a very nice stallion but unfortunatley she's too closley related on her mothers side .

·
Super Moderator
12,677 Posts
Pictures should be straight on and tail needs braided and knotted to show leg conformation. Hooves need attention. Something off but it may just be camera angle or feet. Pretty head, drafty. More leg than you'd expect and should be sturdier in appearance. How old is she?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pictures should be straight on and tail needs braided and knotted to show leg conformation. Hooves need attention. Something off but it may just be camera angle or feet. Pretty head, drafty. More leg than you'd expect and should be sturdier in appearance. How old is she?
yea our fairrier had just cancelled on us she was early threes in the pictures but now shes almost four we got her muscled and cardio'd up over winter ill try to get a get picture tomorrow i just haven't had her done up for a while . but as i said when i edited my post were probably just gonna work on her cow work aand cart work for a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes i would be breeding her too another haflinger, she's almost five. my family usually use live cover, but we're open to ai. i really can go with whatever i need to in order too get good healthy foal and dam on the ground. and i know that is a very nice stallion but unfortunatley she's too closley related on her mothers side .
actually almost four sorry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.