The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's logical to assume that by using a stallion whom is shorter, will help increase the odds of a shorter emh offspring & that by using a stallion whom comes from 'shorter' lines, increases the stability with-in the desired range, if you hit on the 'shorter' genes, but any ideas on how size gets past on or is just a total crap shoot?
I mean my own mare is out of 2 horses under 15hh, however is 16hh herself, yet the reverse is true of other horses- they may only be 14.3hh, yet are out of horses 16hh or more, so it doesnt seem like shorter or taller is more dominate per-say.
Then you have some horses who tend to throw taller or more heavy offspring than themselves, as well as those whom the reverse is true.
From what I've read, of which I admit I havent found much, is if for example using a shorter, heavier built stallion over a larger, finer built mare, then size tends to run with type- ie, heavier offspring are likely to mature around sire's size & finer off spring, the dams size- but is this really the case more often than not?

I have been thinking on it a lot recently as wanting to bred my mare- but really would ideally like the offspring to mature approx a hand shorter than she is (Yes, the mare is proven- from multi day treks of 300+ horses, champions on flat, to jumping up to 1.45m, has good conformation & movement for her type, with a fantastic brain & temperament).
If I want to increase the chances of her throwing a shorter foal, I assume Arabian decent stallions are a good place to start? (& I'm a sucker for a Arab crossed with heavier types, for well conformed, refined horses of substance). However, IF type is tied to height, I really would rather not use an arab or pintarabian, as not overly keen on another park hack type if I can help it. So was thinking maybe Welsh Sec D cob, as I havent seen or heard of many over 15.1/15.2hh, with most falling between 14.2-15hh?

Foal ideally will be used for showing on the flat- be it saddle hunter, show cob or riding/sport horse classes (I ideally want to be able to show in pinto classes as well- I Seriously miss having a pinto :) ), some Show Hunter (up to 1m), Classical & a little modern dressage, want to do working equation once we have a group together for it, along with the usual pleasure horse stuff- ie. odd pre-training (90cm) ODE, ORD shows, hunt, beach, farm & forest riding, treks etc. to keep life interesting- basically a high level all rounder, bent towards being correct & flash enough for national level show classes, of solid build, with good substance & adequate bone for it's type (be that of riding/sport horse type or heavy weight hunter/cob type), is what I'm aiming to bred.

So Question number 2b is- what are peoples recommendations for stallions- be it bred or individual stallions themselves?
I do have to keep in mind that New Zealand is one of, if not the strictest country in the world to import equine semen into- so obtaining semen outside of NZ is EXPENSIVE & I mean much more expensive & problematic than those of you from other countries would often consider 'feasible' or reasonable to breed a single foal from- so while I will take ALL considerations on board, please be aware that just because the 'perfect' stallion is available via AI, doesnt mean I can ultimately use said stallion :)
At this point, I'm just looking for ideas of whats available out there, that could be suitable for next season :)
Also I've looked into buying what I want, but there just isnt anything that ticks enough of the right boxes available- people are finding & holding onto these types, as they are cheap to keep, yet capable of doing a lot (well there was one horse, but owner pulled her from sale before I got to go see her, as short horses of the type, substance & quality I'm after are hard to come by now- most are 16hh+ & thats with 3yrs of looking!)

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I'm sure repetitive breeding of smaller and smaller horses will ultimately produce a smaller horse. Same goes with taller horses being bred together, your likelihood increases.

enviromental Factors will contribute.

And then you have one of my geldings...15.1 HH. Dam is 13.2. Sire is 14.0.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.