The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often is there a chance for a free breeding of someones stallion to a persons mare...Some of the stud fees are really high. Just a question

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
a think a lot, but it prob wont be a good stud, unless your very close friend has a great stud and offers a breeding for free because your her closest friend................... so I wouldnt unless I knew how good a stud it is......(and if I had a mare).......... but I still wouldnt breed just to breed.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why does everyone assume when asking a question about breeding they think that people are going to breed. Plus if I ever did breed, and I mean ever bred it would never be just cuz I wanted to or to see what the horse would look like or anything stupid like that. I would breed to inhance the breed/abillity of the horse and to have a horse for life.....but I never said I was going to.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
She never said you were going to either. You is not YOU in specific.

Good studs will often have discounted breeding sometimes. I've never seen a free breeding to one I'd want to breed to, but I've seen plenty of crappy studs bred for free.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
i wasnt talking about specifically you........ and I said it was my opinon to not breed just to breed.........

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Not very high if the stallion is really worth breeding to, unless you have a personal relationship with the owner.

Usually if someone is worried about how high stud fees are they shouldn't be breeding anyway. I doubt that if you cannot afford the stud fee you can afford all the necessities for the foal.
(and I do not mean you to be a personal you, just a general one)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Its not always cruddy stallions offering free breedings-- Occasionally a good young up-coming stallion (often who has been shown but has not yet been bred) will be advertised with free breed fees to proven, champion or champion producing mares. The stallion owner wants to get his stallion's first foals on the ground, and gives the incentive to the best mares possible so that his stallion's first foals are out of winners/producers.

Free breedings are not always enough--its a risk for mare owners, who can usually breed to their choice of proven relatives of a "new" yet to be proven sire, but lower or free fees can be enticing, plus if the stallion owner is demonstrating a good promotional and advertising pogram for his stallion and his get for the long haul, the mare owner will benefit with more exposure and marketing for the foal.

·
Registered
735 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Why does everyone assume when asking a question about breeding they think that people are going to breed.
Because you're asking a question about breeding. I think it's a reasonable assumption.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got the breeding that resulted in my colt for free. My grandma had the nice TB mare and my friend is a really good friend of the guy who owns the stud. He looked at my grandma's mare and thought they'd be a great match so my grandma bred Brego for me. It was the stud's first foal crop and he's by the 2nd leading barrel producing stallion in the country. Sinsious Firewater or something like that is Brego's sire's name (I totally butchered the spelling). He really wants some good barrel horses from his stud on the ground and competing to promote his stallion. My grandma watched him do two barrel runs the other week and he got 17s on both. :)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
It really comes down you your mare. I have yet to pay a full price for a stud fee. I have even been offered or could have gotten a Free breeding to some really nice reining stallions. I am talking NRHA money earning stallions. Most stallion owners want to get the best mares in as possible. If you have a really really nice mare you would be surprised what deals you can get.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
horse

Ok I know when someone states you in a sentence that its not directed at that person just as a whole general. No I am not going to breed. I was wondering cuz a lady where I like does the free backyard breeding thing and I was just curoius. Ok so lets all stop ASSUMING

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Ladybugsgirl, you need to settle down. Most posters have not assumed that you want to breed but are answering your question. Just a warning because it looks like it is you that is creating a problem.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Usually if someone is worried about how high stud fees are they shouldn't be breeding anyway. I doubt that if you cannot afford the stud fee you can afford all the necessities for the foal.
Have you seen stud fees latley? I could afford a less well known stallion without a problem, but there is no way I could pay for world famous lines.

You can usually get a discount of some kind if you book early, or your mare is registered. Some breeded will not even think about breeding to an unregistered mare.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Chances are a free breeding is crappy stud who should have been geled, or a nice, new stud whose owners want to get foals on the ground to show what he throws. In situation B, they are looking for nice mares who will show off the studs babies, not backyard mares with poor confo who will make the stallion look bad

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Not very high if the stallion is really worth breeding to, unless you have a personal relationship with the owner.

(and I do not mean you to be a personal you, just a general one)
I find this statement to be made by someone who really has little clue about high priced stallions or good stallions.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I find this statement to be made by someone who really has little clue about high priced stallions or good stallions.
How do you come to that assumption?

Is it not true that is is in fact a rare occurance that a well bred truly "good" stallion is bred for free? I'm not saying it does not happen, it is just rare and usually under certain circumstances with certain stipulations.

And It is my opinion that if you* think the fee is too high to breed to the stud you would like, you* should not be breeding because obviously that is the quality you* want and to find a cheaper stallion usually means finding less quality, not always mind you* but usually.

And if you* cannot afford a few thousand dollars to breed to a top quality stallion what makes you* think you can afford to raise a foal properly?

So what is it exactly that I do not have a clue about???

*And again I mean "you" in a general sense of the word.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
First you are making an assumption about cost relative to care. First off You need to define what is a really good stallion. In my case that could be anywhere from $2500 or less-$25K or more. Now I can not afford the $25K stallion and would not breed to him even if I could. However I can afford a $3K stallion. Thing is I am not at all sacrificing quality by doing so. For me it costs very little to keep a horse and not a lot to do the breeding work as I have the know how to do it. So there is no sacrificing there either.

What some one can afford in a stud fee and the quality of care their horses receive are not always related.

Also again what one pays for a stud fee hos A LOT more to do with the mare then it dose with the stallion. No stallion owner in their right mind who has even a nice stallion will give a free breeding to a mare who has done nothing has no breeding and has produced nothing. However. Just about every stallion owner will give you a nice discount for a well bred well proven mare.

So to say that you can not afford to care properly for a resulting foal b/c you can not afford a $10K stud fee is not correct. Now if you can not afford a $250 stud fee then you are probable correct and they should not be breeding. However if a stallion can only command a $250 stud fee they should be calling him gelding anyway.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Also again what one pays for a stud fee hos A LOT more to do with the mare then it dose with the stallion. No stallion owner in their right mind who has even a nice stallion will give a free breeding to a mare who has done nothing has no breeding and has produced nothing. However. Just about every stallion owner will give you a nice discount for a well bred well proven mare.

Now if you can not afford a $250 stud fee then you are probable correct and they should not be breeding. However if a stallion can only command a $250 stud fee they should be calling him gelding anyway.
Yeah, my post did make me sound ignorant toward stud fees and breeding (red in face). A reminder as to why not to post when i am really tired...

I should have explained better what I meant, which you explained perfectly when you replied as to why you thought I was clueless. Thank you.

That is exactly what I was meaning, The free or reduced breeding is under certain stipulations, you have to have a great proven, point earning, title winning mare most of the time to get free breeding or reduced fees for a proven, well bred, champion money earning stallion(IMO a worthy stallion to breed to)

The reason I made my op was because I feel it is not "overpriced" to pay 3k and up for a proven stallion. But I know many people who think $500-&1000 is an expensive breeding cost and in that case if you are stretching to have $500-$1000 to breed, what are you going to do about the mare care,vet bills, and possible emergency care that comes with a foal and can sometimes be 2-3 times that much money?

And I definitely agree with the last thing you said, if he is not worth more than $250 as a stud fee, he should be getting the old snip snip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.