The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A trainer friend of mine got on Cookie yesterday and worked her in the arena for the first time since our move to the new barn! She used her own bit/bridle and road bareback.

I knew she needed some work when I adopted her, But with just this bit and bridle change it has been miles of improvement.
She used a full check snaffle with a wish bone and a english bridle ..... so it had a nose band (I am VERY new to english so sorry if I am using improper terms) .... witch both my friend and I are sure contributed to her being so much less mouthy at the bit.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could maybe find a western bridle that has a noseband?
Or even a english one that is "western looking enough" to get away with in small shows?

All answers appreciated!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
A tie down is generally not going to work to keep a horse from being 'mouthy' with the bit, as it is a noseband that doesn't tighten, just a big loop.

As far as a western bridle with noseband, you could get a halter bridle combo, or simply use a cavesson (what your friend's english bridle would have had) and use it with your current bridle.

I'm not sure that any kind of cavesson or noseband will be legal in most shows though, if you are looking at showing in pleasure classes...unless it's a REALLY informal show. You will have to get her used to being handled and ridden without one for showing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.