The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a book on ttouch the other day and one of the topics mentioned riding without saddle, bridle or halter. just on the horses back and using your body and mind to direct him. I thought that was so cool and am very interested in doing that. It didn't explain how to go about it or anything, just had a picture.

So my question for ya'll is how do you do it? How do you train yourself and your horse to have that kind of discipline for it? I really really wanna be able to do that.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
What's a "brid" and a "sadd"? You're missing some LE's.

It's actually not that difficult to ride tackless. To ride bareback, you just have to have good balance. To ride bridleless, you just have to have a horse that a) neck reins, b) listens to your voice/leg/seat, and c) is well-behaved enough not to take off with you or try to buck you off.

If you think you and your horse can do it, put on a helmet and try it in a round pen. What's the worst that could happen?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
With patience and safety in mind. Before you try any of these things you have to be well balanced in the saddle and your horse must be calm and responsive. He should be used to your hands touching him all over and should stand well for mounting. Then take it step by step, one day go without the saddle at the walk and make sure he can be steered, driven, and stopped like he would under saddle. Remember to take the mounting slow as well if you aren't used to mounting without stirrups. Once he is fine with that then move onto trot and canter without the saddle. Then put the saddle back on and get used to bridleless/halterless the same way. It may help to practice riding without the bridle with someone holding a lunge line with you going in a circle, so you can learn to balance and command without the reins before he is truly off lead. When both skills are mastered, put them together and once again climb up the small steps-ie starting with walk halt and move up to canter leg yields etc when the other basic building blocks are mastered. If your horse and you get caught up on one step, for example maybe the halt without a bridle, do not move on until that step is mastered! Remember to take breaks from this training and have more relaxing and fun days where there isn't as much work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.