The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode a Mare that I am bringing back into work for the first time tonight. She acted like she was really green.
Now assuming that she has done all I was told when given her Is that normal? Was told she has done CTR and pony club. Oh yea been out of work a year.

Just abit on the ride. Rode her out by herself and it was windy. She was ok until we got to a line of trees. Now I know trees blowing is probably a big deal to quite a few horses when by themselves. But she tried to turn and run on me three times. Tried backing up away and also threw in a few bucks (nothing rodeo).

I got her past them but honestly that behaviour is beyond my skill level. Well I thought it was, yay for one rein stops!

Should I be treating her like a green horse? I feel like I did do well tonight but am thinking maybe I'm asking too much of her and should treat her line she is green?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Taking a horse a few steps back training wise is always a good way to uncover any holes in training. It could be she was overfaced, it could be she really is that green or it could be that she was having a mare moment ;) . I think you are on the right track in thinking about going back to the basics.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I think it wise to back up some and do some review of basics, that way you can find out (safely) what her comfort zone is. Maybe she was too green for what you did that day, maybe she was testing you, I would pick my confrontations carefully and be sure I would win each one. You did well to finish on the positive side but start a little more slowly and keep asking more as you progress. Happy riding

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It sounds as if she's trying you out. For the moment, you have won once on the ground and once in the saddle with her. You're doing well! But probably best not to take her abilities and training for granted but rather go over basics with her and see how she does. You'll hopefully avoid a good few confrontations like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
This sounds about normal. I have bought my horse in and out of work a few times since I have had him and he can often act green or fresh the first couple of times I work him but soon settles back into work. I wouldn't treat a horse in this situation as 'green' because they're not, they just need reminding and they will pick it back up much quicker than a green horse.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Some horses can have a long time off and can be rode again like they were ridden on a regular basis. Some can't have even a week off without seeming to regress back to a green state. I think it has a lot to do with their age and training.

When we got Sheba, she had a year and a half off. I rode her and she was great. She was about 11 and well trained.

For the first three years that we had my wife's horse, if he had more than a week off, he gave her a terrible ride. He was 3 and green when we got him.

I'm expecting a hard time when I start riding Star this spring. He was well trained and is 10. However, we got him because he developed issues with the previous owner and he would give some attitude. I only rode him a few times last year and he got better. However, he got injured and had most of the summer and the rest of the year off to heal.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
964 Posts
Interesting (or very brave :lol:) that you "rode her out" the first time riding her when you were unfamilar with her and how she goes. If it was me, I'd have ridden her in safer place like a enclosed riding ring etc. so as not to set any unwanted precendents.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol I absolutely hate riding in circles in paddocks or arenas. I'm pretty sure that the horses can feel it.

I think it was more stupid to ride her out haha I did check her before getting on and also checked her flexation for if I did need to one rein her.

I had only planned on riding her down the road and back. I forgot that there was the line of trees. When she first turned to run and I had her head I felt I had two choices 1) turn and go home or 2) get her past the trees. Going home felt like I would be letting her get away with a really bad behaviour (the bolting) that I don't want to see again and I would hate her to try on someone else.

I have, much more slowly brought on a green horse so the refusing and backing up was familiar. But he never tried to turn and run :( I kept his training at where I felt comfortable because I was as green as him and did not want to start what I could not finish :) he became a lovely bold horse that you could ride out solo. He would stand at the gate and call out if you had not been trekking for a few days.

I'm now unsure as to how to progress forward. She was fine back past the trees again.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.