The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope like crazy it's worth it. It looks to be in good shape. I gave 150.00 for it. Trigger's ESP pad I love is showing some wear, and I felt compelled to find him a new one, but... then I started comparing prices. I couldn't afford a new 5 Star in a 1", which is what he'd need, but I COULD afford a used one. This one was actually cheaper than a new ESP.

Wish me luck... I mean, if nothing else, if it doesn't work, I should be able to resell it. I hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
My only suggestion is to keep it as clean as you can so you can resell it if you decide you don't like it.
I had mine a couple years but kept it clean, still sold it for $150.

I should add, I did not sell mine because I didn't like it. I knew I could get decent money out of it when I needed some cash.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I use a single layer wool saddle blanket under mine to keep them clean. Not because I plan to resell them but because it's easier to stick a saddle blanket in a tub of water and wash it out than to clean a pad.

I really got lucky on my last 5 Star. It is a nice thick one, either 1" or maybe even the 1 1/4" "Rancher" pad. A friend who resells tack actually gave it to me because I was drooling over it. Someone cut the leather strip along the spine towards the back of the pad......trying to give the horse spine relief or something!? I really have no idea why they did it, but they basically ruined an otherwise nearly-new 5 Star pad. :icon_rolleyes: Not to worry though, I patched it with some leather and even though it looks like someone did a hack job on the leather, it's functionally back to normal. I really count my blessings I was able to get that one. Because the felt looks nearly new!

I also have two older 5 Stars that I think are 7/8" and they are just about perfect to use with a wool blanket underneath. I bought those second hand from someone else. I LOVE my 5 Stars. I have bought some cheaper felt pads (like from CAL Ranch) that are supposed to be wool, but they are just not as soft and flexible and the contour is not as good.

I fantasize about buying a 5 Star new but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it. But I have been super pleased with my used ones. :Angel:

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I think that you will like it.
I have had a one inch for about six years now and it's still like brand new. I thought about buying one of their liners but the one inch is so thick already, I never had a problem cleaning it. I now have a newer 3/4 inch and love that one too. The only way that I can see you not liking it is if it's too thick for your use.
Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I bought one of the Back on Track liners for my pad (Toklat Matrix, $first born child) and I love it. I got it on Riding Warehouse's 25% off sale so it wasn't really any more expensive than a felt liner. It is super easy to clean and keeps my pad looking brand new!

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
I bought one of the Back on Track liners for my pad (Toklat Matrix, $first born child) and I love it. I got it on Riding Warehouse's 25% off sale so it wasn't really any more expensive than a felt liner. It is super easy to clean and keeps my pad looking brand new!
How do you like your BOT liners?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all!

IF its not too thick for one, I'll be riding with a liner under it. My barrel racing trail riding buddy started doing that and she sings the praises of a liner because like @COWCHICK77 , she... and I... will sell something like a pad if someone comes along and offers us good money for it.

Also - I don't think it will too thick for liner - I have a 1" Relentless pad, and granted it's old and looks worn out (but isn't), it's about 1"... and it really helps pad out Trigger's narrow back and shoulders. The ESP I ride him in, with the shoulder shims and the wool top, the pad/foam itself adds up to about 1" also.

Only thing with it being 1", I'll be hard pressed to dress it up with a wool blanket over the top, unless it's a really thin one. I have two that I love on him, both are pretty thick wool though, so IDK. I may save the 5 Star for the long, dirty, trail rides and use a thinner pad + blanket for his Sunday Best when we're dressing up.

I think I already have my Camarillo pad sold - I really liked it, but the shoulder shims were just too much - they made the entire pad shift around and nearly squirt out from under the saddle. Was disappointed, but if it sells Saturday morning, I'll have doubled my money on it, so not a bad investment for Just to Try and See if it Works, and it will help offset what I paid for the 5 Star.

Fingers crossed the pictures and description were accurate. The seller has 100% positive feedback, and a lot of it, so I think I'll be okay and not get scammed.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see what all the fuss is about now. Oh. my. goodness. So soft, yet so shock absorbing. It's already shaped from his former owner and it fits Trigger like it was made for him. I threw it on his back while he was out and mowing the lawn last weekend.

Here it is, under my saddle, after I cleaned and earled my saddle and swapped out the smaller aluminum stirrups for slanted roping stirrups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.