The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two geldings, one seven year old and one ten year old, who are AQHA registered brothers. They are both out of the same dam, and their sires are full brothers, so all of their grandparents are the same. However, they are COMPLETELY different. The seven year old is short, chunky, lazy, calm, easygoing, and bay, and the ten year old is tall, lanky, more Thoroughbred-y, hot, fast, excitable, and black. They were also owned and trained by the same guy since they were yearlings until we got them last year. I love them both, but they are just very different to be brothers. Is it normal for brothers to be this different? Or are my guys just outliers? Here are pics of the boys:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
2 full brothers that were bred and raised by me and sent off to the same trainer. Not so much different in coloring since they didn't have a choice (dam a sorrel qh mare and sire a sorrel homozygous tobiano paint) but they are built different and have different personalities.

06_8.jpg

08_10.jpg

Add in they have a 1/2 sister on their paternal side and a 1/2 brother from their maternal side who each have their own personalities too.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
omg @JCnGrace I love the fact that your horses are like... OPPOSITES! The more I look the more insane it is. I love it! And yeah . A friend has had two kids from the same father (paternity test to prove) that look completely different. Blond, blue eyed straight hair. Tight curly almost afro with dark eyes and skin. There are so many examples throughout the various kingdoms. I think it's cool you got two different types right there xD Families eh?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I knew two jumping line Thoroughbreds that were full siblings of each other and only a couple years apart in age. The mare was short and lanky, more like an athletic pony than a TB, very sweet and always had lots of try, and could fly through a 4' jumping course like a piece of cake. The gelding was tall, heavy, more like a warmblood than a TB, was s l o w and needed convincing to do anything, quite opinionated and stubborn as well.

It just happens! Totally normal!

·
Super Moderator
12,694 Posts
Are you a replica of your relatives?

Same goes for horses. While there may be some similarities the combinations of genes are endless or lets say so large a number it amounts to the same.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Back when I was searching for my first horse I came across two full brothers. One was 2yrs old, gelded late, and the one was a 9mo old already gelded. The 2yr old was solid chestnut with the exception of a blaze and maybe two stockings (not 100%) and the 9mo old had a bald face, and in general a lot more white.

They were raised by the same person up until they were sold, I opted for the younger one while the older was sold to an eventer in NY I believe, I reached out a few years later to who bought the older gelding, and the man despised him. Said he was difficult to get along with, a pain in the saddle and to train and overall just not a pleasant horse. I was shocked to hear this as my gelding is very personable, always willing, easy going, and just a joy to be around.

So yes, full brothers can be polar opposites :D

Reactions: JCnGrace

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
I attended a seminar at the UKs Equine Research Centre. One of the places we visited was researching into Nurture or Nature.

They had birthed several identical foals, the embryo having been split and all birthed by surrogate mothers. There were probably ten sets of twins. Of those ten only two pairs, one plain bay and the other dark bay/brown with no white, looked identical.

The most striking were a pair of chestnuts with a lot of white on them. One had a star and stipe, two small socks and a splash in its belly. The other had a bold white face, eminent marks on both front feet and two back stockings. Very different.

I asked about this and was told that they had the same area of white, just in different places.

I also had two geldings, they were out of two full sisters by the same sire. The dams were very similar in temperament. Not so the foals, one was chestnut, brash and bold and the other bay and frit of his own shadow!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts