The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a recurring issue of people stealing my horses' water buckets. It hadn't happened again in awhile, but this past weekend one of my mare's buckets went missing. So my question is, does anyone have any ideas on how to permanantly put a name on buckets outside of permanant markers? With permanant markers it never fails after washing buckets it always wears off or you just take your fingernail to it and poof!

And I know they're not all that expensive to replace, but I don't think that I should have to. So let's get creative here, people lol. Cheap and effective ways to permanantly put you or your horse's name on a bucket or personalize it to know it's your's.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies!

Melting it into the bucket is a good idea, I'll have to check with a family member to see if they have some kind of tool that would work to do it. I'd also thought of engraving them, but wasn't sure how well that would work either or if it would just end up looking like scratches.

I was thinking about spray painting something on there, but I wasn't sure how it would hold up to scrubbing.

And Delfina, I'm pretty sure there's every color under the sun in this barn. I know for a fact there's neon pink, lime green, and orange. And I want there to be a definite way to prove they're mine.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Ear tag pens. They are meant for plastic and it doesn't fade or come off.
How about an ear tag punched into the bucket near the top (so as not create a leak) - would they be tough enough to go through the material (assuming either a rubber or heavy plastic bucket)?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CowChick - Thanks so much! That would be perfect, I don't think that would have ever hit me lol.

Chevaux - That would be a good idea, too, the buckets are the typical heavy plastic, 5 gallon type.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Get metal dog tags with your horse's name on it. Take a small butane torch to heat it up real good then stick it to the bucket til it melts itself into the plastic and leave it. You now have a personalized bucket that no one else has.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roadyy - I like that idea a lot, too. Bling it out a little even lol. Thanks for the suggestion!

LadyDreamer - I had thought about that, but I'd rather give this one more shot before going to those extremes and possibly causing issues with people. I know if I were to lock them that the BO would have an issue with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I circled leopard duct tape around my buckets a few times...I am the only boarder that loves leopard print in all accessories...but I love the dog-tag sodering idea and the neon buckets !!

·
Registered
589 Posts
I circled leopard duct tape around my buckets a few times...I am the only boarder that loves leopard print in all accessories...but I love the dog-tag sodering idea and the neon buckets !!
I second the duct tape idea. You can get any color you want. Even if all you do is wrap it around one of the handle sides, it's still something to show that it's a different bucket. And what bucket thief would sit and pick at duct tape, especially when it's aged a bit and has that little bit of 'gunk' on it?

P.S. Spray paint will also rub off. I tried that :-|

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Wait a minute? You board and have to supply your buckets too?

You might try turning buckets upside down, and under the lip, painting in there, or rough up portion with sandpaper and paint it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't believe all of the ideas coming in, thanks so much everyone!

PinkPony - That's another good idea, I could see some leopard print and neon pink being pretty cute together, lol though maybe not for my gelding. I'm tempted to combine all of these ideas and put them all to use...(then maybe everyone would think I was crazy and that would scare them off? haha)

PetitePyro - That is true, they'd have to be pretty dedicated to go through all that trouble and I have a feeling I know who stole this last bucket and I'm pretty sure the whole reason they did was out of laziness. And thanks for the input about the spray paint, I was worried that would be the case.

Palomine - Yes, I board and have to supply water buckets only. Which I don't mind supplying those, what does bother me is that we're down to only one non broken pick/maure fork for 30 some horses, which the BO is supposed to provide but it's such a pain I'm probably going to buy my own. People break them constantly and never replace them, but those at least I'll be able to bring home with me every time unlike the buckets lol. And painting or marking under the lip of the bucket was something I was thinking about doing, too. People may not notice it, but then at least I would be able to find them.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Roadyy - I like that idea a lot, too. Bling it out a little even lol. Thanks for the suggestion!

LadyDreamer - I had thought about that, but I'd rather give this one more shot before going to those extremes and possibly causing issues with people. I know if I were to lock them that the BO would have an issue with it.
I want the royalties off the idea if it takes off from yours and becomes a lucrative business. lol

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I am going to try the dog tag idea! Very smart Roadyy!!!

I have issues with water buckets going missing once and awhile, though thankfully not at this barn.

I do have issues with brushes and hoof picks going missing even though I lock my stuff. Its when I am out riding it goes missing. One would think in a small barn this wouldn't be an issue. So I might try the burning dog tags into my brushes and stuff as well.

Reactions: Roadyy

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I am going to try the dog tag idea! Very smart Roadyy!!!

I have issues with water buckets going missing once and awhile, though thankfully not at this barn.

I do have issues with brushes and hoof picks going missing even though I lock my stuff. Its when I am out riding it goes missing. One would think in a small barn this wouldn't be an issue. So I might try the burning dog tags into my brushes and stuff as well.
That'll be $.75..lmbo

1 - 20 of 23 Posts