The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am currently dealing with a 10yo quarter horse gelding that tends to buck in the arena and pasture. I can trail ride him around town with friends and he’s pretty much perfect. I recently found out from the girl on his coggins that the owner before her cowboyed him and he is also green broke. When he bucks you off, he keeps bucking like it’s a game and has never come after the person he bucked off. I ride him in a hackamore because he was fighting me on bits but now thinking that was because he is not as broke as I originally thought. I have had my saddle checked and he does not seem to be having any soreness or anything of that nature. He is very sweet and loving outside of riding and I can do anything else with him. He doesn’t spook easy and is not dangerous in any way. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
If he is green broke, you may be rushing things and may need to be sure he has basic training. First I'd have his teeth checked since you've been having issues with bits. Then I'd do some basic ground work with the bridle to see how responsive he is to turning to light cues, and if he will stop easily and reverse from a simple snaffle. If you're not experienced with training, I'd have someone more experienced assess him to see what he knows. He may be bucking because he is green and not prepared for whatever type of riding you are trying to do with him currently.

I'd make sure the saddle fits very well (you can post pictures on here for critique if you wish), but also lunge him with the saddle on to make sure he has no objection to wearing one when going at faster gaits.

My first impression is that he is barely started, and rider error or tack issues are causing him to buck as a green horse. Sometimes you can ride a green horse out with other horses and they are simply taking their cues from the other horses, but they haven't had enough training yet to know how to reliably respond to cues from a rider. That means in an arena with many rider cues, the horse could easily be confused and over faced, leading to bucking. Something as simple as trying to cue with your leg or pulling too hard on one rein without release could be frightening him enough to buck.

Continuing to buck after the rider is off suggests he was overwhelmed and not calming quickly after whatever upset him. Not coming after the rider? That is a disturbing comment. It suggests you believe a horse that bucks is likely attempting to harm a person. A green horse that bucks lacks experience and is reacting to anxiety or fear. This is a problem that could easily be made worse, and the fact that it has happened more than once or twice means you are probably in over your head and need to get the horse to a real trainer before he has serious issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! I am currently dealing with a 10yo quarter horse gelding that tends to buck in the arena and pasture. I can trail ride him around town with friends and he’s pretty much perfect. I recently found out from the girl on his coggins that the owner before her cowboyed him and he is also green broke. When he bucks you off, he keeps bucking like it’s a game and has never come after the person he bucked off. I ride him in a hackamore because he was fighting me on bits but now thinking that was because he is not as broke as I originally thought. I have had my saddle checked and he does not seem to be having any soreness or anything of that nature. He is very sweet and loving outside of riding and I can do anything else with him. He doesn’t spook easy and is not dangerous in any way. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
If he is green broke, you may be rushing things and may need to be sure he has basic training. First I'd have his teeth checked since you've been having issues with bits. Then I'd do some basic ground work with the bridle to see how responsive he is to turning to light cues, and if he will stop easily and reverse from a simple snaffle. If you're not experienced with training, I'd have someone more experienced assess him to see what he knows. He may be bucking because he is green and not prepared for whatever type of riding you are trying to do with him currently.

I'd make sure the saddle fits very well (you can post pictures on here for critique if you wish), but also lunge him with the saddle on to make sure he has no objection to wearing one when going at faster gaits.

My first impression is that he is barely started, and rider error or tack issues are causing him to buck as a green horse. Sometimes you can ride a green horse out with other horses and they are simply taking their cues from the other horses, but they haven't had enough training yet to know how to reliably respond to cues from a rider. That means in an arena with many rider cues, the horse could easily be confused and over faced, leading to bucking. Something as simple as trying to cue with your leg or pulling too hard on one rein without release could be frightening him enough to buck.

Continuing to buck after the rider is off suggests he was overwhelmed and not calming quickly after whatever upset him. Not coming after the rider? That is a disturbing comment. It suggests you believe a horse that bucks is likely attempting to harm a person. A green horse that bucks lacks experience and is reacting to anxiety or fear. This is a problem that could easily be made worse, and the fact that it has happened more than once or twice means you are probably in over your head and need to get the horse to a real trainer before he has serious issues.
I was not implying that in a bad way. I do not think that horses buck to harm people but with what I have been told about with his past I was just trying to explain that he is not dangerous or trying to hurt anyone. I just don’t know if he was abused when they cowboyed him or what because that’s how she made it sound that he didn’t come from a good person before her. He is just scared and green broke. I think he gets nervous. I have been reaching out to trainers I was just trying to get another persons opinion.

·
Super Moderator
12,890 Posts
Bucking is a dangerous behavior and something that needs addressed. It sounds like you are working on figuring out causes as well as looking for information that can help you help him. Gottatrot gave a good synopsis of the whats, whys and how to proceed.

His past is his past. He is the horse you have and the horse you need to work through this. I'll say here I sold a horse that had never even offered to buck, ever. Lived the life of Riley. He's now in his second home. Why. He bucked the first person off. Was sent to the trainer and he bucked the trainer off. His new home - he's back to his old self. He has a boy that loves him and has much the same personality as my son. The grapevine claims we were abusive and cowboyed him. I could say the same of them but won't. Why, because I doubt the first one did and I know the trainer well enough to say he wouldn't. He and the first person just didn't see eye to eye I believe. The trainer asked too much too fast, but he had a limited amount of time because the owner had a limited amount of money. It isn't always past owners or handling. It could be many things or combinations of things.

Work with what you have and keep moving forward. Don't look to the past, figure it out, fix the holes and you'll get him where you want him. Having a good trainer working with you will be your best help as eyes on the horse see more than eyes on the page.

·
Registered
14,869 Posts
Unfortunately you are going to need more than provided on this forum. Bucking is very dangerous and if he thinks it's a game, like you say, it's a big problem. Seek out a trainer before any injuries happen or the horse is ruined.

·
Registered
49,534 Posts
think about what is truly different between the two states you describe; 1. he is ok riding with others on a trail. 2, he bucks in an arena, or out at pasture.

On the 'trail', who is leading? how many horses, is it just a walk? on flat or hills, is the trail narrow between trees, far from home? Far away from any of his mates ? (like, you trailer far away from his home to trail ride?)

In arena, is he near beloved buddies out in pasture? is he bucking only at canter? in a certain place?

reallly think about the differences between these two situations. They may not seem different to you, but are worlds apart to your hrose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bucking is a dangerous behavior and something that needs addressed. It sounds like you are working on figuring out causes as well as looking for information that can help you help him. Gottatrot gave a good synopsis of the whats, whys and how to proceed.

His past is his past. He is the horse you have and the horse you need to work through this. I'll say here I sold a horse that had never even offered to buck, ever. Lived the life of Riley. He's now in his second home. Why. He bucked the first person off. Was sent to the trainer and he bucked the trainer off. His new home - he's back to his old self. He has a boy that loves him and has much the same personality as my son. The grapevine claims we were abusive and cowboyed him. I could say the same of them but won't. Why, because I doubt the first one did and I know the trainer well enough to say he wouldn't. He and the first person just didn't see eye to eye I believe. The trainer asked too much too fast, but he had a limited amount of time because the owner had a limited amount of money. It isn't always past owners or handling. It could be many things or combinations of things.

Work with what you have and keep moving forward. Don't look to the past, figure it out, fix the holes and you'll get him where you want him. Having a good trainer working with you will be your best help as eyes on the horse see more than eyes on the page.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts