The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out working horses tonight and got to thinking...so many people deal with bucking on the lungeline differently. Some ignore while some dont allow any silliness. What do you do and why?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I allow sillyness, i usually just use the lungline to let her let out extra energy, which also includes bucking :)

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Bucking can easily turn into a habit if you allow it. I make the horses change directions whenever they start bucking.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I am one of the "let 'em get it all out on the longeline" people. I don't have a problem with them being a horse on the longeline as long as they don't do it under saddle. And in my experience, it's always been better to let them do it while you're not on them ;)

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I'm fine with it as long as it's because of excessive energy and not to establish dominance. And usually it doesn't go long anyway. Some run-off energy and back to work (without bucking).

·
Registered
790 Posts
I'm sorry but bucking can be done while they're in the pasture. I don't tolerate it EVER on the lungeline. In the round pen off line is a little different, especially when introducing new tack or tack for the first time, but I don't let it go long. Throw a couple and then change direction. How to buck is not something I want them learning while I'm anywhere near them and certainly not how to perfect it undersaddle. First couple saddles are the only time I see it as "acceptable" to throw a buck into their step. After that, there are more than 20 hours for you to work out your kinks with your horse pals in the pasture...no need to demonstrate! That being said, all my horses are pastured outside year round. They're NEVER in a stall, mostly because I lack a barn...but that's besides the point. I suppose if I had a horse boarded somewhere where they took the horses in at night then I could see it if you work with them in the morning...or if they're on stall rest, heck...I'd take them to a pen just so they could blow off some steam! But for MY horses, no bucking on the lunge.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
It's easy to spot the people that let thier horses buck on the lunge line. They are the ones I'm riding past while they lunge thier perfectly well broke horse. After the first thirty days I never put a horse in the round pen and I never lunge them. I don't feed horses so that I can watch them run around me in circles.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
^ Ditto. I never lunge proper, and I only use circling on the lead rope now to help with breaking in my youngster. My older horses I don't at all. Don't have any practical use for it - I own horses to ride them.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The only horse I lunge is my horse, and that's usually just once or twice a month. Knowing her, there is never any bucking involved. =P
However I would allow bucking on the lunge unless the bucks are being aimed at me. In that case I would work the horse's butt off.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
^haha same, or i long-line, which is fun! , but bucks on the longline are a big no-no

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i do let me horse buck on the lunge when shes not working with tack & side reins. its so icy out shes not moving around past where the hay is thrown by the gate. she doesnt ever truly buck though, but she will sort of leap

·
Registered
992 Posts
I only lunge to get energy out before a ride and when breaking a youngster. On a horse that does it consistently, like the halter horse I worked with at a barn I worked for, he always got a chain under his chin. He would literally yank you across the entire arena, chain or no chain. When he would start to buck I would yell first, and if he didn't stop I gave a sharp yank on the lung line to make him whoa, then change direction.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I would never want my horse to get teh energy out before I got on. You should channel that energy into something productive rather than waste it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I allow it as long as it's just playful and not close to me. My horse has a LOT of energy and doesn't always know what to do with it, so when he gets turned out he doesn't always release it all. No way would I want to get on him with that excess energy still pent up. If he needs to do his thing while I'm lunging him, it's okay with me because he's an intelligent guy and knows the difference between lunging and being ridden. When I'm on him he's a saint, so that's all that matters to me.
If he ever does do a more "dominant" buck or gets too close to me, I give him a firm "NO", change his direction, and make him work extra hard for a few seconds. Seems to work out fine for us.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I allow it as long as it's just playful and not close to me. My horse has a LOT of energy and doesn't always know what to do with it, so when he gets turned out he doesn't always release it all. No way would I want to get on him with that excess energy still pent up. If he needs to do his thing while I'm lunging him, it's okay with me because he's an intelligent guy and knows the difference between lunging and being ridden. When I'm on him he's a saint, so that's all that matters to me.
If he ever does do a more "dominant" buck or gets too close to me, I give him a firm "NO", change his direction, and make him work extra hard for a few seconds. Seems to work out fine for us.
exactly :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
I would rather get the bucks out on a lunge line than have to attempt to ride out the rodeo my gelding gives, potentially falling off and potentially teaching him that backing DOES get me off.

·
Registered
945 Posts
When my horse was very green I knew when it was fortuitous to put her on a lunge line and let her get the silly crap out of the way before I tried to get on with work. I used a lunge line because I have no round pen, yard or arena.

Nowadays I know the capabilities of my mare eg I know I can sit to any buck and sillyness that she has so I don't do the lunging anymore. However I am still an advocate of lunging and letting a horse get the bull out of the way in a fairly safe and controlled way. If a person is riding a horse that has more buck than they can handle and they can read that horse well enough to KNOW when a bucking fit is imminant better to let the horse get on with it on it's own. The sort of bucking fits that I am talking about by the way are the fresh and feeling good bucks that a young horse is prone to when they are first caught on a lovely crisp morning.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
That's why I teach them not to buck, period!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
rena knows when bucking is acceptable and when it is not. there is a big line that tells her how far she can go before shes misbehaving. as long as i am clear about when im fine with bucking, then we have no problems

·
Registered
945 Posts
That's why I teach them not to buck, period!
How do you teach a young horse that is feeling frisky not to buck? This is a genuine question by the way. I have found that by doing the lunging long after it is comfortable my horse then settles nicely into work after initially being very full of herself. Doing this has definitely discouraged bucking and she is no longer inclined to be too frisky and full of herself. Like I said I no longer lunge. How do you stop bucking, what is your method?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.