The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't sure where to put this..

Do all/most/some buckskins have white/cream in their manes? I ask because Bella's mane is getting whiter on the edges, with the black part in the center.

The pic is not flattering, I know. :p We're working with her.

I *think* she is a Hackney, around 11.2-12hh.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
my buckskin doesn't have any white/cream in his mane at all...it is solid black. could your pony be silver buckskin?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She could be, I'm not sure. She was an auction find.. too cute and the perfect size.

She's not *mine.* I picked her out, but she's in training to be a child's pony.

in the summer, before her mane got eaten by the other ponies in the field.. she still had the 'streaks' but they were hidden by the way her mane laid.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Could she have some Icelandic in her lines somewhere? That would explain the frosted mane wouldn't it?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anything is possible. I think the vet guessed that she was a Hackney, but I think she's a little stockier-looking than a Hackney, mainly in the head.

After looking, I personally think she kind of resembles a Fjord/Hackney or Fjord/Welsh cross.

·
Registered
735 Posts
She is sooo cute! Congrats on finding her.
The most common name I have heard for this is "frosting". "Frosting" on a buckskin or dun's mane is seen in many breeds and sizes-- its known to occur and pretty common in Fjords for sure-- the edges of the mane are lighter, and the center main part of the mane is black--Fjords seem to grow "wider" light edges than other breeds, while in most horses it shows up on it is a thin lighter edge, like "guard hairs".
Here is a buckskin Tennessee Walking Horse who has a bit of frosting--

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Pretty common thing for buckskin horses of all breeds. I don't have any idea what causes it to sometimes just be a few hairs or other times be like your boy. I really like the look of it, it just makes them seem more unique.

Pokey has a few guard hairs that are very white but not many of them.

Buck didn't have any until he started getting older.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My filly has allot of it on her main and there is a mare at my barn who is like a buckskin paint has it to.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Gunner is a dark webby buckskin. He has the mask, as well, and his mane is black. Of course, he has the sad little appy mane...barely any forelock to speak of... : /

·
Registered
851 Posts
My filly buckskin filly has a half and half mane, and the foretop is mostly white - I've never seen this before.
Can you register a buckskin with the buckskin registry when they have major frosting? I'm not sure...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts