The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckskin mare to blue roan stud

13K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  GretchenR 
#1 ·
I have a buckskin mare with a buckskin sire and sorrel dam. If I breed her to a black based blue roan stud whose sire is also a black based blue roan and who's dam was a black and white pinto. what are the color possibilities for the foal?
(hoping for something flashy)

#4 ·
Don't breed for color alone, it is just frosting on the cake ;)

Without knowing the stallion black status (if homozygous black, he cannot produce a red based foal) and your mare's agouti status (if homozygous agouti you will not get a solid black base foal) it is a bigger guessing game with colors. Your mare has 1 cream gene and the stallion has 1 roan gene, he may not have a pinto gene from his dam (would need to be tested for it). You have a 25% chance of not getting either a cream or roan gene. If the stallion is also heterozygous black, you also have a 25% chance to have a red based foal (either chestnut, palomino, red roan or palomino roan).

Playing with color calculators are fun: Color Calculator

#6 ·
Thanks everyone!
and thank you SunnyDraco for the color calculator. Both have good blood lines. My mare is from zippo pine bar's line and the stud is a good 15.2 hands and stout great quarter horse build! He is also very mild mannered for a barrel horse which is a huge plus!
Color would just be an awesome plus :) but mystery is fun to, can't wait
°•°☆★☆°•°
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.