The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am in the process of leasing a 2 year old thoroughbred gelding. I want to train him, board him, and eventually ride him English. I want to make sure I have enough money saved up for a few months so I’m not caring for him paycheque to paycheque but I’m not sure realistically how much he’ll cost. Boarding where I live ranges from about 295-495 a month depending on whether lessons are or aren’t included. The lease deal with his original owner is that I keep them updated on his progress, but I’m responsible for his care. How much should I expect to spend a month on caring for him beyond training/boarding?

·
Registered
49,438 Posts
wait, you are paying his board costs, AND training him? for free?

H m m . . . those owners are getting a good deal, if you ask me.

If he is 2, he must be a blank slate, no? you are putting the whole foundation on him, no? if so, why should you also pay to board him? I think the owner should pay his board, and you offer the training, for free.

·
Super Moderator
14,753 Posts
What you propose to do you could do for no fees owed if you hook up with a rehab rescue of OTTB...
They do get youngsters in who are not yet broken to saddle sometimes needing a lot of work.
You would have the same "training" to do but not the cost of care/boarding in addition.
Seems to me you having to shoulder all those expenses should have you not leasing but ownership of said animal first and foremost.
In the end of this "lease" what do you have but nothing to show for your work, time put in and expenses and the rightful owner of said horse walks away with a trained horse that now is worth money to sell and add more $$ to their pocket of horse trained with no expense paid out...
Sorry, to me you are in a bad lease agreement and being taken full advantage of..
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I agree with the others. It would be one thing if you owned this horse, but it sounds like you are basically paying someone else to train their horse for them. At two years old, I wouldn't think this guy would even be ridden. I really like @horselovinguy's idea about seeing if you can volunteer for a rescue -- that way you wouldn't be paying for the experience, and you would be helping horses who need it!

As a horse owner, if I were going to get someone to train my horse, I would expect to pay that person AND pay the horse's board myself while they were being trained.

Also I get the idea that you would be able to maybe eventually ride this horse, but what if, after you put in all that time, they cancelled the lease?

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Right around the area where I live there is a pretty good trainer. If I were to send a two year old to him, it would probably be for a month or two. He would work with the horse to put the basics on it and then I would take the horse back and probably leave him be until he matured more. I would be paying this person $800. per month to do this.

Reactions: knightrider

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have seen this type of lease where I am. We call it a "free lease" ironically because it is the most expensive lease of all! Normally it is done with older horses/trained, but I've seen greenies being leased out too. I do think that you (the leaser) gets taken advantage in those situations, but I suppose it is nice to be able to walk away if things go sideways. However, OP if you have the skills to be training this horse, then there are better options for you. You could also be getting paid to put training on horses, but of course I understand that isn't always as easy as it may seem for people to be willing to pay you for that without a reputation to back it up and comes with its own liabilities to be aware of. It also isn't that easy to find a unstarted horse to work with without having the reputation or buying if you are specifically trying to hone those skills. It really depends on what your goals are? What is the reason you are wanting to lease and train this specific horse vs other horses you've looked at? What is the gain that you get out of it?

I also really like the suggestion at looking at a rescue if that is an option for you. That could also be a way to perhaps get your name out there, if that is what you are after?

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
If getting a name out as a trainer is the goal, you can always find people that would be willing to let you train their horse for free if they liked you and your methods. But still, they would be taking care of expenses for the horse. Or, I would buy unstarted horses, train them and then sell them. You might not make much money off of this either but probably would still make enough to pay for expenses. Or, find a good trainer that would let you apprentice with them.

Either way, I would not pay a person for the privilege of training their horse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts