The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so a very strange thing has happened to my mare...she started getting large lumps all over her body and they were not hives, according to the vet. She cut two of them off for a biopsy and when the results came back, they are reactions to some sort of bug bites! :shock:

Here's the strange thing...I live in Ohio, and until these past couple of days, it's been freezing and snowy around here...WHAT in the heck is even ALIVE outside right now that could even be biting her?? One bump has been there since this past fall and the others just popped up a couple weeks ago.

We thought it might be something coming in on the shavings, but who even knows. Anyway, seems that she is apparently VERY sensitive to bites, so I need to get her some sort of bug spray for both the walls of her stall, and possibly even on her and her shavings.

Does anyone know of anything organic or that wouldn't be harmful if it got in her shavings and she rolled in it or ate hay from the floor that had a little on it? Something that would ward off ANY insect, not just flies?

·
Registered
130 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.