The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into building a simple 2 stall barn next to my house. It just needs to be 2 stalls and that's it. I don't want to build a run-in because they won't use it. Any Ideas on layouts and how much it would cost me to build it myself. We do have experience building run-ins so I think we could handle a small 2 stall. I just need something to put them in in the winter when its raining for days like it is now. They used to have a run in but they never used it. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Are you thinking of a shedrow or a barn with inside stalls?

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
You can google 'free barn plans' and find some very easy designs at some of the agg schools. Here is one:

Agricultural Building and Equipment Plan List

under Horse, this one is pretty nice http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/extpubs/Plans/6118.pdf

This one is a bit simpler since it doesn't need trusses http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/extpubs/Plans/5838.pdf

and there are others. We built our pole barn ourselves using a design from one of these university sites. Based on the materials cost for our barn, I think you could build a nice 2 stall shedrow for around $2000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot! I think we still have a lot of wood in my Grandfathers barn so hopefully I wont have to buy a lot of stuff!

·
Super Moderator
15,223 Posts
You could just build yourself a run-in and section it off making stall walls and such. Something you are already comfortable doing and know the costs of...
I would though make a overhang of at least 4' minimum so if a driving rain and they are locked in they don't get wet nor their stalls.
Preferably a 8' over hang would keep you dry while feeding and mucking their stalls if the rain persisted for a few days...just something to think about if you are doing this from a new beginning.
:wink:

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Heres a layout. You could turn the garage into a hay/feed/tack room.

Or with this, put a tie area in front of the tack room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.