The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so my performance horse had a very bad colic episode a month ago an I just started riding her again due to the fact that she lost so much weight and muscle. I am doing many different exercises to get a nice topline on her again and to gain muscle around the shoulder and hind end areas. I would love the feedback and suggestions. Thank you.

·
Registered
14,876 Posts
If you have any hills nearby, long trotting uphill is the bomb for a horse's topline.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Trotting poles are great for building the topline, if you have no access to hills. Also, long and low work, where applicable. I like doing lots of lateral work while riding long and low in my warm-ups. If your just getting your horse back into work, then I would take it very slow. Lots of walk work, laterals, etc.

Backing is also a good exercise, but If I'm being honest, It has never been my favourite to go to.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Was she a good weight before the colic episode? I don't understand why she is suddenly underweight with no topline. Has she not had any appetite after her colic? How bad a colic are we talking? My horse colicked and was eating normally within a couple of days. What did the vet say?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.