The Horse Forum banner

Building Muscle on a 2 year old

4600 14
I just wanted to know how to build some muscle on my 2 yo.

I've decided against saddle training him this summer, and just working on other things. Any suggestions on some things I can do to help him build some muscle?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,880 Posts
subbing -- i am also interested in this

i only have one 2 yr old
Still, provision of adequate nutrition, free pasture life with buddies. They can be youngsters to play with, or older horses who will show it the life values. Main thing is to let them run free, they will build muscles.

Of course you can take them out for walks, do minimal ground work to get them used to it, but not many circles. Walking up and down hills, trotting up and down hills.. all will help.

· Registered
6,302 Posts
I agree with all the above. Stick with showmanship type work for the babies and that groundwork will pay off 100x when he's ready for a saddle.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, thank you! This weekend he's being turned out to the large pasture with the rest of the horses, and his old buddy Duncan. :) Lots of hills there for him to get his exercise on.

My only concern is catching him to work with him, but I think I have taught him well enough to be a gentleman. Time will tell.

Thanks again! :)

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Okay, thank you! This weekend he's being turned out to the large pasture with the rest of the horses, and his old buddy Duncan. :) Lots of hills there for him to get his exercise on.

My only concern is catching him to work with him, but I think I have taught him well enough to be a gentleman. Time will tell.

Thanks again! :)
mine is turned out 24/7

she is easy to catch

· Registered
3,083 Posts
agree with the other posters. Too many people rush training at this age, when joints are still unfused and they are learning so much about socialization from their pasture buddies.

I like to bring them in at the end of their two year old year, usually in the fall, do some ground work, some short, basic lunging sessions, get them used to a saddle and bridle, then kick them out. Basically get them familiar with tack and make sure they are respectful and responsive on the ground. Then more ground work, ground driving and maybe a few rides in the fall at three, and actual work at four. All really difficult work, like jumping, quick, repetitive turns, etc are left until 5.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
agree with the other posters. Too many people rush training at this age, when joints are still unfused and they are learning so much about socialization from their pasture buddies.

I like to bring them in at the end of their two year old year, usually in the fall, do some ground work, some short, basic lunging sessions, get them used to a saddle and bridle, then kick them out. Basically get them familiar with tack and make sure they are respectful and responsive on the ground. Then more ground work, ground driving and maybe a few rides in the fall at three, and actual work at four. All really difficult work, like jumping, quick, repetitive turns, etc are left until 5.
I'm not saddle training him. :) I said in the original post that I had decided against sending him away for saddle training, and that he was going to be left alone all summer.

And even when he goes, he will not be pushed too hard, and then back out into the field he will go to do some more growing.

I was just simply wondering if there was any round pen work, or anything I could do to help muscle him up. :)

· Registered
1,880 Posts
No need for round pen.
I took a 3 yr old last june. Barely handled, but could lead and would load in the trailer, but not much respect and stuff.
Put him at first in half a hectar of a pasture, later 1 ha, then all 2. The size increase was only cuz i hadnt prepared the pastures at first.
He had some quick ground work sessions to accept my leadership, but basically properly lunging only at 3.5 yrs, but also only 2-3 times a week max.
He was never hard to catch, then again i was suprised he walked in the trailer with me.
Most youngsters like their owners if they have been messed with at all. And i doubt you will lose him in the pasture. Daily checkups and stuff, make sure you can pet him and should be fine.

· Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No need for round pen.
I took a 3 yr old last june. Barely handled, but could lead and would load in the trailer, but not much respect and stuff.
Put him at first in half a hectar of a pasture, later 1 ha, then all 2. The size increase was only cuz i hadnt prepared the pastures at first.
He had some quick ground work sessions to accept my leadership, but basically properly lunging only at 3.5 yrs, but also only 2-3 times a week max.
He was never hard to catch, then again i was suprised he walked in the trailer with me.
Most youngsters like their owners if they have been messed with at all. And i doubt you will lose him in the pasture. Daily checkups and stuff, make sure you can pet him and should be fine.
Reassuring! :) I'm looking forward to turning him out and seeing him open up.

If you have a cart available and a harness you can teach them to drive....

Jim
Thanks Jim, I never thought about that one before! We don't have a cart, just a wagon and a sleigh that are used for the Fjords!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.