The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mare was a little over weight and we brought her back down to a good heathy size, She is however pretty out of shape.
Recently I moved her to a barn MUCH closer to my house and can be with her anytime any day and am able to ride a lot more often. Of corse my friends and I like to run our horses a little when we have a safe place to do it however she gets to breathing very heavy pretty fast so I DO NOT want to over work her and start to cause problems.

So my question is how can I safely work on building muscle and stamina in her safely and know I am not doing to much?
Any tips are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I read this in an article by Jim Wofford in a recent issue of Practical Horseman.

Walk for muscle
Trot for balance
Canter for wind.

For muscle, there's nothing better than a really energetic forward walk on uneven terrain. If you have any gentle sloping hills, or better rolling ones, that's the best place to start. I think it was the November issue if you want to read the article.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
MBP I love that! That is what I was taught years ago, and judging by the horses at that particular barn, certainly true. The "working" walk is so overlooked in its benefits imo. Great post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.