The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this guy up from auction on Saturday. Noticed his left front was a bit funky. Seemed bench kneed or it could just appear so because his LF knee it literally bulging. No heat, can't tell if he's in pain. His feet need to be trimmed so I can't tell if he walks weird because his feet are long and are needing to be done or because of his knee. He has limited range of motion in the LF. Seems he popped a splint on the left front aside from the bulging knee. Picked up his foot to pick them and he can only pick up the foot halfway, it almost feels like the knee is fused and he only has a limited range of motion. Haven't seen him trot or canter yet so I'm not sure if he's lame.

Info I know-
7 yr old grade gelding
Said to ride good and quiet.

That's all I know about this horse.
Vet will be out to float his teeth, vaccinate, and hopefully she will be able to X-ray his knee but would like opinions beforehand. What do you think??
Thank you.

This is how far the foot/leg can be picked up. It will not possibly move any higher.

Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Yes! His left knee is badly 'off-set'. It does not look like a sound knee to me.

You can see that he is putting a lot more wear on the outside of his left hoof. I would doubt he flexes that knee very well and he will not hold up well for much of any riding.

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
That knee looks 'varus' to me too - leg bent in from knee - but that may be angle of pics. He does look like it's uncomfortable. Yes, if limited movement especially, could be that the knee is fused with osteo arthritis. I wouldn't ride him.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Agree with the others though I wonder if injury or something made it works. Looks like it's been that way for awhile. Doesn't appear to bother him but have the vet check.

Agree with no riding and as someone who has had/known several horses with "bum knees" (though not quite like this) it will only get worse and pretty quickly as he ages. Hopefully not too soon at 7 but something to keep in mind.

He's cute.

·
Banned
568 Posts
Have to agree with cherie doesn't look like a sound knee,if he is sound he wont stay that way long. My bet is he ended up at sale barn because he isn't sound,i would of never bought him.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone sent me a picture of a horse they trim with a knee a lot worse then his. It's the size of a softball, that horse still gets ridden lightly.

I didn't see him personally before I bought him. :(

I also don't think they can sell lame horses at the auction he came from. He's in QT now an hour and a half away so I haven't seen him move out. Walks sound.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
& just because some people would ride a horse like this or worse, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Just because a horse isn't blatantly lame doesn't mean they're not hurting.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Someone sent me a picture of a horse they trim with a knee a lot worse then his. It's the size of a softball, that horse still gets ridden lightly.
I've seen people ride horses that were 3-legged lame too, but that doesn't mean they SHOULD ride them. Just means they haven't sense enough to care how the horse feels.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
That horse appears to not only have a varus knee (for whatever reason) but a bench knee as well, with the cannon offset under the knee. It could very well be that the bench knee caused sufficient strain to cause arthritis or he could e injured his knee and have a bone chip floating around.

A horse with a knee the size of a softball could be sound.. and just ugly.. as the swelling may be painless synovial fluid from the joint capsule. I have sees such a thing in cattle and horses (more in dairy cattle) and they were fine.

This seems to be not that. I think there is an injury here and you may have purchased a horse that was sent to the auction with good reason (many are and many have been). That said, I will be VERY interested to know what the Vet says and the results of the X Rays. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
& just because some people would ride a horse like this or worse, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Just because a horse isn't blatantly lame doesn't mean they're not hurting.
Yup, both horses I'm thinking of with knee issues had normal conformation and just very swollen (permanently) knees.

One was sound but a "bute and ride" due to arthritis. I took weekly lessons on him and he loved it, otherwise he was a pasture puff. Mechanically lame but sound to ride with bute. Sadly euthanized in his 30s when the arthritis got so bad he couldn't get up without help and it was going into winter. He pranced out bright and perky and lame as always to the spot they picked.

Good horse.

The other was my own mare. I was riding her during camp at the barn (several hours a day for 5 days) and was too young to know better. We were cantering and something felt off and I pulled her up and she was cantering on 3 legs, bless her heart. Hobbled on 3 legs back to the barn.

The barn finally realized she wasn't suitable for a lesson program (you think?) and sold her to us soon after.

She was sound for light riding (we were kids remember) and had a weight limit of "kids only" or <125lbs. Mechanically lame though she would hurt if you did too much which was never a problem after we took her. As we grew the weight limit also dropped and finally my mother said "you can't ride her". She did one or two pony rides for babies and was then officially retired. As she got older the arthritis in her knee got worse. She also had an undiagnosed issue (vet guessed stomach cancer) and was emaciated.

Was finally put down after going down several times and having trouble getting up (weakness + knee) and finally gave up one day and wouldn't try any more (late 20s). She had a happy life, but let me tell you. Not only was she unsound (and no, I don't consider sound for a kid to ride w/t a couple times a week sound and that was at her best) as she aged her knee started giving her more and more problems with arthritis. She wouldn't run in the pasture. I'm still not sure if she physically COULD bend her leg normally but she definitely couldn't mentally as the pain was too much so she got bute before the farrier came and he would very carefully pick her foot up a few inches and trim like that. Too much and she'd rear backwards (and this is a horse you could trust with a baby). Aside from the farrier she was perfectly happy strolling around the pasture but that was it.

Now these are both great horses with long happy lives that had injuries (probably kicks) at the end of their careers that sadly shortened their retirements. Your horse is still young but appears to have more issues than what I am talking about with my old timers.

If he knee is that fused at his age..

As I said before I definitely wouldn't ride him and think it's just a matter of time before he goes through everything I listed above. Hopefully it won't be until he gets older but that's not a guarantee.

The first horse above was a well bred (though conformational trainwreck) Arab who did upper level dressage and was all heart.
The second was a large pony/small horse mare of unknown history but had that "look" and was well trained and one of those horses that anyone could ride and have fun on sweetheart, I have no doubt pre injury she was sweeping in the ribbons with a young rider.

I'm sure things would of been very different had these issues happened earlier in life.

For a horse to already have such an issue at such a young age makes me very sad. He's very cute too.

I am also curious to see what the vet thinks. Just keep in mind my stories for long term.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts