The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mare has a big lump on her back which is unfortunately right underneath the right saddle panel. The bump was biopsied and found to be a reaction to a bug bite. But now there is a bump there that's trying to heal, the stitches have been out a couple weeks, and my vet suggested I ride her with the saddle, but cut a hole out of the saddle pad around the bump to avoid irritating it.

I tried it the other day, and the pad was not enough to hold the saddle up off the bump, so it rubbed and became irritated. So yesterday I tried a riser since they're thick and sturdy. With the hole in it, it did keep the saddle off the bump BUUUUUT it also messed up the distribution of the pressure and ended up rubbing all the hair underneath that panel/side :-( Can't seem to win with this thing!

In the past when I've tried using things such as half pads, they've been too much padding under my saddle and have caused similar rubbing, so all I ever use is 1 thin saddle pad and the saddle and that works best. But now what do I do about this bump while it's healing?? Anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but I've been riding her bareback for 2 months now :-/ And show season is coming up, I really need to get her back into work under saddle...obviously if it's either irritate the thing or ride bareback, I will ride bareback.

But just wanted to see if anyone had any creative ideas otherwise! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.