The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I went out to the barn. I had skipped a day, so I had removed the fly masks and they'd missed a day of fly spray. When I took PopTart out, she had a lot of flies on her. And as I was grooming her I saw these bumps. I took pictures, but they're kind of hard to see and for some reason won't upload. The skin isn't broken, but has anyone seen this before? I googled it, but that was just horrifying.

They look like the pictures on this article, but not nearly as many. Just really a few on her flank and hindquarters.
https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/features/how-can-you-keep-your-horses-skin-healty-544950

·
Registered
264 Posts
My horses get these in the warmer months down here in southeast Texas! I don't care how much fly spray I put on or what brand I use, they get these bumps. Cows, too.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My horses get these in the warmer months down here in southeast Texas! I don't care how much fly spray I put on or what brand I use, they get these bumps. Cows, too.
Do all of your horses get them? These are just on one out of my three. I assume they are just a reaction to bites as they're not all over and she hasn't been exposed to anything new in terms of products or feed or anything. I just sorta freaked out (made worse by googling all the possibilities).

·
Registered
99 Posts
My horses have gotten what looks like those bumps in the past when they roll in a bed of fire ants. Not sure if you have fire ants in Arizona. But mosquitos, flies, any biting insect can cause this same reaction. Some horses are just more sensitive to it than others, which may be why your other two don't have them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My horses have gotten what looks like those bumps in the past when they roll in a bed of fire ants. Not sure if you have fire ants in Arizona. But mosquitos, flies, any biting insect can cause this same reaction. Some horses are just more sensitive to it than others, which may be why your other two don't have them.
I did notice ants in one of the stalls, not the one with the bumps, but another one. They're all in a row, so ants could definitely be the culprit as I do see her lying down to sleep in the pen.

I actually told my SO that we had to get sevin dust for the stalls before we went out today. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts