The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was our second ride in the curb. Mostly just to take photos - He had already been ridden all day in his snaffle at the campdraft.

I still have to two hand sometimes as he isn't used to solely neck reining - He needs an open rein sometimes to clear it up for him.

The one with his back legs together is coming into a stop.

So give us pointers, what's good, whats bad, am I doing it right?

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee184/wild_spot/curb5.jpg

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Looks pretty darn good to me :D. Its a whole different feel, isn't it? The only thing I would suggest is maybe loosen your reins just a little bit more so that you aren't really contacting the bit at all except for the stop.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definately! I feel very insecure not being able to feel what his mouth is doing - I really have to focus on not trying to pick the reins up! I'll have to work on getting them out longer :]

On the plus side, it has really lightened him up when I put him back in his snaffle - Especially stops, backing up and rollbacks. I really like it as a 'tune-up' bit - I will be using it more so we both get used to it!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
:D Yeah, I imagine that would be hard trying to transition from almost always having contact to trying to have no contact. You're doing well though.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I do love the reins - My first time riding in really nice, properly weighted reins.

Is Cowperson Tack a good brand?

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I have no idea. I have never heard of them. I don't know what you have available to you over there but IMHO as far as split leather reins go, you can't get much better than Herman Oak Harness Leather around here. But, they are so dang expensive.
3/4" x 8' Extra Heavy Herman Oak Split Reins | NRS - National Roper Supply - Western Wear, tack, team ropes, horse tack, team roping ropes, bits...

I get by with pretty much any kind of harness leather reins as I don't mind if they don't hang perfectly. I avoid latigo leather at all cost though, they stretch and sometimes that can cause a big problem.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's an American company - The people I bought it off imported a lot of western stuff from the US. The leather is super thick and the reins are thicker at the ends to weight them. I actually think I got a really good deal if the bridle and reins are the quality I think!

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Ok so I know nothing of western... but your horse has the best name!!!... yes... I am a devoted Bunday fan, it is so good! Hence I have come to the conclusion that I very much like your horse :p

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ Lol! I have also had Vodka and Champagne and Latte, so continuing the theme... Also convenient that he was bred in Bundanoon!

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Looks great! Loosen your reins a bit though :)

Feels awesome, doesn't it? I love riding in curbs ^^

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yay! I thought I got a good deal. I got bit, bridle and reins for $100.

Yep, I do like it, but will take some getting used to!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.