The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Hunter has been burping like crazy the last few weeks. He has just started going on grass again and I was worried about his health a week ago but he seems to be OK. I looked it up on the internet and got a lot of different info. Some people said "Horses don't burp" but he does! Last night my trainer came out for a lesson and he was burping like crazy, very smelly too. She said she has never heard a horse burp before and she has been around and had horses since birth. I am going to worm him again because he is getting a belly but he is still a little ribby. Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Before you worm him, I'd call your vet and have them check for ulcers.

I've never heard of a horse burping, but if your horse is a REALLY dedicated cribber, they can crib on nothing at all, and make the grunting/wind sucking noises which sound a lot like burping, and so of course you get gas issues that could be smelly.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
my mums horse was burping/hiccuping the other day, it was weird

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
for our horse it wasnt like that at all. he has never cribbed ever & wasnt doing anything with his neck. he was just burping, i was on his back & i could feel it over his whole body...

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
no, but i board with my vet & she said she wasnt worried about it & then he stopped. it has never happened again, but it was pretty weird.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I wasn't really concerned (except last week) cus he is eating and pooping no problem. Just thought I would ask. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.