The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve got 2 horses at home and today we let them out to graze. I saw my 7 year old quarter horse mare laying down on her side earlier but she got up. I later got a phone call saying she had been laying down again like 2 or 3 more times on her side. So I rushed home and got her out to walk her around. Her belly is tight and she would periodically do what I would describe as a belch or burp. It smelled foul. I could also hear her belly rumbling. She will eat but isn’t wanting water. Has anyone experienced this? I’m hoping it’s just an upset tummy but the fear of colic is there. Please help!

·
Super Moderator
10,043 Posts
I can think of a couple things.

An obstruction in her throat, whether an object or weeds or growth. Or colic. There are some colics where the horse's stomach sounds are louder than normal. Admittedly, it is rare.

I would get a vet out. Please let us know how she does.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She’s perfectly fine! I found someone who said that it happens to their horse every year. I guess a full belly of new grass just makes them gassy! 😜

·
Super Moderator
12,678 Posts
That is not normal for a horse and the foul smell on top of that is worrisome. I would at the very least watch for colic, take baseline temp, heart rate and respiration and call the vet to see what they say and to give them a heads up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts