The Horse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this saddle that has been recently fitted to my mountain withered warmblood cross. The saddle fitter keeps ensuring I should not worry when the saddle slides back like this (see picture) after riding.
So I thought I might try and get a few opinions on a forum.
The shoulder blade movement comes right up to the pad and the girth is also not too far back however I just cannot convince myself otherwise.
I will be trying to ride with a breastplate tomorrow but in the meantime I would like to know if any of you guys have had some high withered horses and dressage saddles that did the same thing and if I have nothing to truly worry about.
Sky Tree Working animal Luggage and bags Outdoor shoe

Sky Tree Working animal Terrestrial animal Bridle

White Light Product Black Textile

Super Moderator
Welcome to the Forum...

When your saddle was fit to the horse were all of those pads also in place?
Or was the saddle fit with just a thin pad to keep the saddle underside clean?
Sometimes us trying to be "kind" and offer all the extra padding are actually creating the issue of not fitting correctly and excess travel of the saddle now happens..
I don't know if that is your problem, but I am suspicious of all the padding I see that it not be a contributing factor of slipping.
If very recently your saddle was fit and requires this much padding after flocking and adjustments were made to the panels....
Something is very wrong.
馃惔.... jmo...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Forum...

When your saddle was fit to the horse were all of those pads also in place?
Or was the saddle fit with just a thin pad to keep the saddle underside clean?
Sometimes us trying to be "kind" and offer all the extra padding are actually creating the issue of not fitting correctly and excess travel of the saddle now happens..
I don't know if that is your problem, but I am suspicious of all the padding I see that it not be a contributing factor of slipping.
If very recently your saddle was fit and requires this much padding after flocking and adjustments were made to the panels....
Something is very wrong.
馃惔.... jmo...
I understand. So the fitter said before we started flocking like crazy because of his huge wither lets just see how the gel front riser with the sheepskin will work and if that is all you need. Because without them the does saddle fit, it is also just for some extra cushioning she says.
but I will ask her if maybe I just ride without everything and see if it happens. I do know that because of the front hinges in the Butterfly maybe it just does not work well with s high withered horse.

Registered
How is the horse's sweat pattern? I'm not sure I would worry about the saddle sliding back. The reason I say this is because without a saddle, the rider would sit immediately behind the wither of the horse. When you add any saddle, the pommel goes over the withers, and the rider gets pushed back by the saddle- giving you a bigger seat area and your saddle panels do the job of distributing your weight.

So if you have a horse with a fairly long back (like a big warmblood), even if the saddle does move back a bit, as long as the weight is distributed properly, you are probably okay. If you were on a short pony, with a short back, it might be a problem.

Your horse could have a girth groove located a bit farther back than normal and that will pull your saddle back off the shoulder too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How is the horse's sweat pattern? I'm not sure I would worry about the saddle sliding back. The reason I say this is because without a saddle, the rider would sit immediately behind the wither of the horse. When you add any saddle, the pommel goes over the withers, and the rider gets pushed back by the saddle- giving you a bigger seat area and your saddle panels do the job of distributing your weight.

So if you have a horse with a fairly long back (like a big warmblood), even if the saddle does move back a bit, as long as the weight is distributed properly, you are probably okay. If you were on a short pony, with a short back, it might be a problem.

Your horse could have a girth groove located a bit farther back than normal and that will pull your saddle back off the shoulder too.
Thanks for this! I did get a second saddler out today and she also agrees, the position is fine as long as I am also balanced and centered and not tipping or sitting back. I also got a different girth that does not have sheepskin. Zazu says thanks!! :)
Horse Sky Tree Working animal Horse tack

Registered
The saddle is in a good position. If it slides back to that position, you are putting the saddle on too far forward. The tree points should sit behind any shoulder movement so not to interfere with the shoulder blade. I'd start out with the saddle there before riding.

Registered
The reason conventionally-treed saddles slip back is because they're unbalanced, more often than not sitting pommel-low. It will also happen if the front of the panel gives insufficient support under a rider's weight. It drops, altering the balance to pommel-low and then the saddle goes back again. Your pics appear to support this, the upper showing the saddle in a correct, balanced position and the lower with it having gone back. Whilst it's possible to ride in the slid-back position, look at the seat's low point. It's much too far forward and the rider will have a tendency to lean or fall forward, having to sit back, rather than upright, to compensate. That puts the rider behind the horse's movement, not exactly what you want.

This particular saddle brand has a front arch based on an interesting premise, but one which I can't believe in, mechanically or physiologically. If it were a traditional saddle I'd say the tree looks too flat for a high-withered horse (I know - I've got the same problem with my Westphalian) and it needs a deeper panel/more flocking. As it is, I've no idea, sorry.

PS. A breastplate won't work unless it's fitted too tight. A handsbreadth at the chest means it'll let the saddle go back 3 or 4 inches, so it'll end up where it is now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts