1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am interested in buying the saddle located here:

http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/4250275362.html

The seller sent me some better pictures, and it looks to be in great shape. I have talked her down to $175. I feel like that is an excellent deal, especially because it comes with leathers, irons, and a girth.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I would say avoid Wintecs, you will always be fighting your saddle to be in the position you need to be and they aren't known for fitting horses well.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To the contrary though- I rode in the same saddle at my old barn, and it seemed to fit both me and my horse quite well. She is really wide at the shoulder, and this saddle was perfect for her, and I found it really comfortable. When I look up this saddle new, its going for a few hundred more and without any other tack.

Attachments

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also was thinking that at $175 it wouldn't hurt to have a "beater" in the tack room, in the event that I don't love it.

·
Super Moderator
10,227 Posts
For the money, if you need something for an extra or for young horses, I'd even do it. And I don't like synthetics.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the money, if you need something for an extra or for young horses, I'd even do it. And I don't like synthetics.

Call me crazy, but I prefer synthetics! My horse is 15.3 and I am only 5'2" so lifting a huge heavy saddle is a PIA. Even my western saddle is a Big Horn synthetic!

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

That looks like an Isabelle , well worth 225.00, they are over 1,000.00 new..

If you can get it cheaper of course, try :lol:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That looks like an Isabelle , well worth 225.00, they are over 1,000.00 new..

If you can get it cheaper of course, try :lol:

I couldn't agree more! My favorite thing is the long billets. It makes girthing 100x easier. I have been eyeballing the Isabelle, new, for years. I just like them. I suppose one that is lightly used (she said maybe 10x until her daughter decided to switch to hunt seat) for $500 savings- at least- you can't really go wrong. Right?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
from my own experience with wintec dressage, i find they put you in a horrid chair seat due to the stirrup bars being farther forward on the tree than they should be. mind you, i don't have personal experience with the isabelle, but this is something i find blatantly obvious with my wintec dressage circa mid 1990's.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
from my own experience with wintec dressage, i find they put you in a horrid chair seat due to the stirrup bars being farther forward on the tree than they should be. mind you, i don't have personal experience with the isabelle, but this is something i find blatantly obvious with my wintec dressage circa mid 1990's.
Interesting. I have never had that issue, that I know of with a wintec. I feel like that is something either my trainer, or the Olympic coaches I rode with at clinics would have pointed out. Although, with one of them, we did a lot of work with ground poles, and were more focused on my horse than we were on me. I have a problem with being almost too straight- if that makes sense. my shoulders are so straight that I am almost behind the motion rather than slightly in front of it. I am not sure that has much to do with the saddle though...

There is a video from quite a long time ago on youtube of part of a lesson. I am in the Wintec saddle. You can take a look here if you would like:

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

The Wintec Isabell is based on the Bates Isabell, the Bates is all Leather, the Wintec is synthetic.

I wonder if the difference between the Wintec Isabell and other Wintecs is because of the similarity to Bates and not other Wintecs.

My ex rode in the Wintec Isabell for over 10 years and just loved it, hers had the changeable gullet system and cair, even tho it had the changeable gullets, she rarely had to change the plates when changing Horse as the Saddle seemed to be very forgiving with fitting various Horses.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Southern. That's also been my experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
When I went to see the last horse I bought, the gal had a nice Wintec. She saddled w/that saddle & we both rode in it-it was quite comfortable on the gaited mare-now I ride her in my Aussie saddle that I've owned for over 20 years.

That looks to be a great deal on that saddle.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I bought the saddle and I quite like it! I have no real complaints about it- It was exactly what I thought it would be, maybe even in a bit better shape than I had expected, and it fits Sadie well!

I am happy with the deal I got!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
So I bought the saddle and I quite like it! I have no real complaints about it- It was exactly what I thought it would be, maybe even in a bit better shape than I had expected, and it fits Sadie well!

Glad you found one. I'm still looking for one and had heard good things about the Isabell from Wintec.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Congrats! I would say that you got a good deal. I love my Isabell, and I would definitely say that there's a world of difference for the better between the older wintecs and the ones of nowadays.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Nice! Some people like wintecs, and some think they're junk. My 500 was pretty good but I like my isabell better. Just wanted to comment, that looks like a 500. Is there anything on it saying it's an isabell?

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

Better look over your shoulder for the cops, you stole that saddle :lol::lol::lol:

I have seen them sell for twice the price and in worse shape :wink:

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Nice! Some people like wintecs, and some think they're junk. My 500 was pretty good but I like my isabell better. Just wanted to comment, that looks like a 500. Is there anything on it saying it's an isabell?
Now that you mention it, it does look different from my Isabell... the back of the cantle looks more sloping backwards, and the flap more forward. Either way, a quick way to make sure is to look above the stirrup leather keeper and see if there's Isabell Werth's "signature" imprinted in the saddle. If it's there, it's an isabell. If not then, well, it's not :p

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is not the Isabel. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was, although I wasn't sure. I thought it might be, but it's not. It IS in great shape and I really like it anyway. Although the Isabel would have been a REAL steal!!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.