The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been riding for about 9 years and I am going to full lease a horse for the first time. I would like to buy I saddle but I heard it is better to wait until you buy your own horse. That being said, I would buy a horse similar to the one I lease. (example: leasing a 16.1 hand horse, would look to buy a horse around the same size.) Should I buy a saddle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you don't need one for the lease horse because that horse already has a saddle that fits and you can use, I would wait. Sizing for a saddle has more to do with the shape of the horse's back and not just their height. You'd probably have to end up getting a different one when you get our own horse unless it has a back identical to the horse you're leasing, which is unlikely.

·
Registered
49,417 Posts
What @marymane says is true. However, that saddle that comes witih the horse may not suit YOU. I loved having my own saddle to use on horses that I leased. Sometimes it worked, other times I stuck with that horse's own saddle. That's how I ended up riding Western for 5 years, and loving it!

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
Not all lease horses come with equipment. Not only does the saddle need to fit the horse but it needs to fit the rider as well. That said height does not determine body build or saddle fit. You can't count on your lease having the same build as a future purchase.

Saddles are like shoes. Many can fit a single size (say size 9) but there are different levels of fit within the size (wide vs narrow). Some brands will fit better than othet brands. Others will need a totally different size.

As to whether you should purchase now depends on what or if you are provided something that works for you and the horse.
You'll want the owners input on a purchase used on their animal and someone that knows how to fit a saddle to ensure it fits you both. Dover has a really good tutorial for English saddles @bsms has a few links for western. You can search his posts or hopefully he will stop in and add them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not all lease horses come with equipment. Not only does the saddle need to fit the horse but it needs to fit the rider as well. That said height does not determine body build or saddle fit. You can't count on your lease having the same build as a future purchase.

Saddles are like shoes. Many can fit a single size (say size 9) but there are different levels of fit within the size (wide vs narrow). Some brands will fit better than othet brands. Others will need a totally different size.

As to whether you should purchase now depends on what or if you are provided something that works for you and the horse.
You'll want the owners input on a purchase used on their animal and someone that knows how to fit a saddle to ensure it fits you both. Dover has a really good tutorial for English saddles @bsms has a few links for western. You can search his posts or hopefully he will stop in and add them.
Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't need one for the lease horse because that horse already has a saddle that fits and you can use, I would wait. Sizing for a saddle has more to do with the shape of the horse's back and not just their height. You'd probably have to end up getting a different one when you get our own horse unless it has a back identical to the horse you're leasing, which is unlikely.
thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What @marymane says is true. However, that saddle that comes witih the horse may not suit YOU. I loved having my own saddle to use on horses that I leased. Sometimes it worked, other times I stuck with that horse's own saddle. That's how I ended up riding Western for 5 years, and loving it!
thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts