The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently on the hunt for my first horse. I got close to buying one this month, but it turned out that she has arthritis, and that wasn't something I was willing to deal with.

I found a place called Cheyenne Acres, about an hour and a half from where I live. They are a family that sells well broke trail horses, which is what I mainly want to do. I'm looking for a horse that can do competitive trails eventually.

I'm 22, and I've been riding since I was 8. I wouldn't say that I'm a very very experienced rider, but I'm fairly advanced and I'm learning new things every day.

I have an appointment to ride some of the horses they have for sale right now in 3 weeks, and I was wondering if people could tell me what they think about the ones I'm the most interested based on their picture and their age and what the ad says.

I appreciate it!

I'm putting them in order of the ones I'm the most interested in

Paint (Tobiano) Horse For Sale in Vichy, Missouri
Racking Horse For Sale in Vichy, Missouri
Tennessee Walker Horse For Sale in Vichy, Missouri
Horseville Horse For Sale - Walking Horse Price Cut! - Ad 302131

The woman said that they don't like to make a habit of cantering the gaited horses too much. Why is that? I'm mainly going to be trail riding, but I do enjoy going for a nice canter/gallop every once in a while.

Also, does anyone have any tips for questions I should ask, things to look out for, general tips?

I'm going down to ride once, and then if I find a horse I'm serious about, I'm going to bring my vet and a friend (and who has had and trained horses for most of her life) come with me.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Cantering them may throw them off of their gait, OR it could be the horse isn't as broke as they are telling.

Also, if you aren't an experienced horse person, I would recommend a PPE, as you will save yourself some grief that way.

Keep in mind too, that horse may be a whole different ball of wax away from its home, or may be a easy horse for them to handle, but not for you.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Horseville Horse Classifieds - Watch Video This horse has a better gait than the others, I think the others are a bit pacey.

And unless you are only wanting a gaited horse, I like the looks of this one, http://www.horseville.com/horses/horse313981.html

That said, or written?

These people for a long time have had horse after horse for sale. I've been seeing their ads for several years now. I don't know if they are flippers, or what but there are way too many horses for me to not wonder about them.

That alone would make me leery about buying from them possibly.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Also, have you checked on FB for horse groups, as there are quite a few in MO that are on there, and many have some nice horses for sale.

One is Midwest Horse https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/MidwestHorse/

What are you looking for, gaited, mare or gelding, and what are you wanting to do with it?

Of the ones you put up, I didn't really like any of them that well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd pass all them up. Honestly. For that price in this economy you can get a bad *** horse.

Excuse my French.

I mean I just dropped 6k on a horse. Best part is. LMFAO. I live in California and that's stupid overpriced.

So just keep looking trust me
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it really bad to have so many horses for sale? I was guessing they were flipping them due to how all the horses are trail horses. I wanted to go ride and see if I actually fell in love with any of the horses before bringing the vet for a PPE, because having her come out with me over and over is going to get expensive. I'm definitely doing a PPE because it already saved me from buying one horse that wasn't as healthy as I expected.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've gotten all 4 of my horses off craigslist. All are sound except one, and I knew he wasn't when I got him. But he's the closest thing I've felt to a heart horse in a long time so I didn't mind the idea of patching him up.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
If you want a gaited horse, I run a group on FB called "Gaited Horses sale, trade, adopt stud, and tack." I think the FB groups can be a great way to look for horses, because you can really get to know the sellers beter, and you don't even have to contact them >:p I am a master FB stalker.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
If you don't talk to them-you'll never know. Just remember-you want a safe horse to ride, not one to become a moneypit right off the bat.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went and saw that black and white gaited mare, and she was a disaster. Super barn sour and hasn't been ridden in months and no manners what so ever. Reasons why seeing the horse in person is so important.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I found the one!

She's a 9 year old quarter horse, birthed, started, and trained by a well known trainer in my town. The woman I've been leasing from recommended him to me the same day I came upon one of his ads.

I checked her out today and she was the most responsive horse I've ever ridden. He got on her and rode her at a walk and trot with no reins at all and she was very nice. I rode her as well and held the reins but didn't even need to use them. I got her to change directions with all legs at walk trot and canter. She even stops and backs up with no reins. I'm totally in love. She is calm, but can get some speed going. She has excellent ground manners and manners while in the saddle. I get to see her again on Sunday to make my decision. I'm so excited. And she's gorgeous! (A little chunky, but nothing some exercise can't fix)

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.