The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Im buying a 7 year old morgan gelding for Classic/English pleasure (Saddleseat) He has been out of work for a year and a half, so he definitley needs more weight and muscle. My trainer (who is a very expierenced 3rd generation horsewoman) checked him over, lunged him, had me brush him and pick his feet, walk him, etc. We didn't ride him because the owner didn't feel comfortable without building muscle first, which is understandable. I am 5'6"and around 150 lbs and he is 14.3, yet is VERY high headed and looks like I wont be too tall for him. He has worked with kids, shown, and was in a high end training facility before she bought him. She seems like such a sweet lady and got very emotional when talking about leaving him. His show name is SMS Galahad, aka Gally. We purchased him and will be getting him next sunday! Does this sound like a good plan? I have a great feeling about this descison but want some outside input. Any tips would be appreciated! Also, I have some videos and pictures of him. You can also find him by looking up SMS Galahad.

·
Registered
48,585 Posts
Very pretty horse. I have no idea how to evaluate a horse in that discipline, but he moves evenly and seems to really be a well balanced horse. Will he always be ridden in a tie down? How will he do outside of a show ring? Or, perhaps that is not pertinent in your case . ..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but you bought him without riding? He looks nice and has quite a gait.

Personally though, I will never buy a horse that I can’t ride. No matter what. Lack of muscle isn’t reason enough not to try him. It just means that you’d have to slowly build him up, but to me the fact that the owner came up with an excuse and said no to riding is a big red flag. You can have amazing videos and stories from the past, but that doesn’t guarantee the future. If you haven’t handed over the money yet, I’d insist on trying him at all gaits. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy or long. Just long enough so you know he won’t go crazy on you. After all you’re buying him to ride I presume. How are you planning to build muscle without riding?
In either case, hoping to see updates to see how he turns out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have never bought a horse but if I did, I would be wanting to ride it to try it out. I would also be asking when the videos were taken. If these were taken recently, how come they could ride him to take the videos but you can't? If they were taken a long time ago, how do you know he is anything similar now? From what I flicked though, I think the videos also only show him in one gait or did they provide other videos of all the other gaits and transitions?

·
Super Moderator
16,042 Posts
I fully agree with Saigold, his being unfit is absolutely no reason for not being able to ride him.

Why has he been left unridden for 18 months? That alone is another red flag for me. The fact that the owners decided to sell him yet did nothing towards getting him fit to be ridden is another question that needs answering.

I do hope you are getting a thorough PPE done on him.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi again guys! We have had the vet go out to see him and she gives him the all clear. He has not been worked because the owner had 2 knee replacements suddenly and has been in too much pain to ride. The original owners were selling him so he could be a kids horse, show horse, driving, etc. She bought him fully prepared to ride him but had to have emergency surgery on her knees so her plans fell through. She was able to ride him before this and said he was very leg, hand, and seat responsive and has been taught basic dressage in order to help him bend and flex. She lunges him as much as possible but knows that he needs a forever home where he can be worked consistantly because he is young. We will build muscle through long-lining, driving, and eventually riding. We don't want to rush to ride because we don''t want to damage his back or legs. We plan on taking it slow and building up the strength to be able to get him back into shape. We did lunge him at all gaits recently so we have seen him move and he looks great! thanks for everything :)

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
The sale ad said his owner had been injured so he wasn't ridden.

I agree with others that I would want to ride him unless his current condition has him in more of a "neglect" body condition. I have heard horror stories of show horses whose owners are injured who just end up sitting in a stall for months on end when there's no one to get them out and exercised. Hope that's not the case here. And also absolutely agree that he needs a thorough PPE with attention to his body condition and rehab plans (if he's in fact so underweight he can't be ridden).

Now, the horse in the videos and listed on Morgan Showcase- he's got a really cute expression and I like how he moves. He has a nice trot without being totally "over the top" in his knee action. He has a nice show pedigree and looks like he can do what you want him to. I like how in the video he clearly spooked when he noticed the person with the camera but gathered himself right up and continued on with no big issues.

I watched his other Youtube videos posted in spring 2019, and it does make me worried that something dramatic has happened between then and now for the owners to tell you that you can't test ride him. He looked to be in great shape at that point, so what does he look like now? And are you sure you're comfortable buying without riding?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I hate to be a negative person on a post but all of the reasons you state for not riding him are kind of silly. I live in NW IL. My horse does not get ridden for about 6 months of the year - in the spring I get on and ride. I don't worry about damage to back or legs because she has had 6 months off. I am not sure your intentions with this horse, but you mention that it is young. If it is that young then were the prior owners not worried about the show conditioning at such a young age? That level of collection and head carriage are taught over time.

Maybe I am too much of a trail rider and just don't understand how show horses are bought? just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Sorry but I wouldn't buy a broke to ride horse without test riding it first. PPE doesn't guarantee he's not a blow-up bronc when ridden. Out of shape or not horse can be ridden for a test ride.

I call something is rotten in denmark,reason for not letting you test ride.

When I bought my current horse he had been sitting all winter. I was let to test ride him in arena and on the trails. I wouldn't of bought him without getting to test ride.

Sellers would of denied me test riding him I would of walked away,no test ride no deal, see you later.

·
Super Moderator
13,661 Posts
Something isn't right...buyer beware!!

I worked the show stables H/J. but show barns run similarly no matter the discipline or breed.
I've taken on and rehabbed rescues from near deaths door and you pad them up and put up a lightweight rider and at least see a few minutes of w/t/c ...at the least w/t can be done and get off.
To refuse to allow a rider to get astride something is seriously wrong...you are about to find out what too.

I sold one of my horses...
I could not ride as I had a broken knee, just had surgery, you could see the drain in my leg yet and was in a brace/cast... You could see the cast on my leg.
The person coming to try the horse knew upfront, also saw and although they wanted me to get on I just could not, just could not.
But they got on and rode...the vet was here and did a PPE the horse passed.
It was the buyers vet, not mine either..
Horse was bought then and there cash in my hand...
To refuse you to get astride...nope, huge red flags waving like its a hurricane it should be.
Sorry, I'm with everyone else... refusing to let you ride...
YOU being the optimum word as you are healthy and strong, not sickly...
You ride at your own risk and that refusing to let you get on means there is a great risk for something this animal does they don't want you to know of or about till off the property and "you own it you deal with it"...
Nope, no way no how do you buy when someone not be allowed to get on...red flag is right!!
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Horse is a 2013 foal so 7 years old it shows it a beginning of video. So he's not a baby, no reason he can't be ridden to get him in shape.

I agree with HGL big red flags are flying high on this one.

No excuse for not letting you test ride doesn't matter owner had surgery. There's something they are not wanting known about this horse. My bet is it would be a deal breaker. They want to wash there hands clean of this horse..

·
Registered
292 Posts
When I sold my Haflinger she hadn't been ridden but a few times in a 5 year span, but I had no issue with letting the potential buyers ride her if they wanted to. Yes she was a out of shape, but for a 15 min ride it did her no harm. She found a great home and is happy being a trail horse.
I agree with others something doesn't sound right.

Ok so rereading what you wrote I noticed you said he needs more weight. It is one thing to be out of shape muscle wise, but to need weight that is concerning. Morgans are usually pretty easy keepers so if he indeed needs weight I would also be concerned about that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have bought several sight unseen horses but never, will never, physically go to see a horse and purchase without riding.
If the vet cleared him physically then great! I really hope he is everything he seems to be!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just to add, I bought a horse once with a very brief ride. I was 7m pregnant at the time and also sick with bronchitis and this was in the middle of February. Snow and ice on the ground. Sellers showed me amazing videos and after a short walk around on lead line we said he seems good. When we got him home we realized that in order to keep him calm enough for riding we had to do that probably twice a day every day. Jsit too much horse power. He was great on trails. But he prob would have made an amazing endurance horse. We found him a home where he could be ridden a lot more than we ever could.
Moral of the story. Don’t believe everything you’re told by the sellers.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
I sold a mare last summer. She hadn't been ridden in 5 months. At all. And previous to that, was only being ridden very occasionally. But when a friend was unexpectedly interested in buying her (wasn't planning on selling, hadn't listed her so this was all through word of mouth), I got my daughter to ride her briefly, then the buyer got on her. Rode her for a good half hour and put her through her paces. No problem.

The idea that you would hurt a horse's legs and back by riding them lightly is a little over the top. I'm not suggesting you should take the horse on a 7 hour trail ride, or make them jump a course, but you can't even get on them briefly to make sure there is nothing really major going on, either temperamentally or physically? That makes no sense to me. It's not going to hurt a horse to be ridden for a few minutes.

Cute horse, but I'd insist on seeing it ridden before going through this transaction. Not just on video, but in person. I'd want to see the horse tacked up too. I know the vet cleared the horse, and that's great, but how do you know the horse doesn't have some really bad habits, a traumatic memory, or something physical that only shows up under saddle? Trust me, you don't want to be dealing with any of those things. There's a reason why I sold my mare, and hadn't ridden her in months previous to that.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I'll just join the chorus. The only reasons to buy a horse without riding it is that it isn't broke to ride or you don't intend to ever ride it. Neither applies. Don't get the horse without riding it.

And, ride it without a tie down. A horse that cannot be ridden without tying his head down is not a horse you want.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
I don't consider a 7 year old young. By then they should be mature. That's a great age, really.
I'm in agreement with others. He obviously has training. Unless he is recovering from something I would ride or at least have a trainer ride for me. No ride, No buy.
And get a thorough vet check and be there during the appointment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I bought my present horse without riding him. He was a 6 year old fine harness horse with only 10 days under saddle. I had not ridden in 5 years myself. So trainer's young niece rode him for me and I handled and saddled him and he was OK. After taking a few lessons I rode him and he was fine. Now we are both in training. My trainer said this week that I am riding mechanically and my hands are not feeling the horse. She put him in a bitless bridle while I learn my hands so I would not confuse what she's teaching him.

·
Super Moderator
11,257 Posts
You came with excitement a out your purchase to have several experienced say there are red flags. I'd give the same advice. Pass or at least pause.

There is no reason not to ride an out of condition (muscle wise) horse that has been broke to ride. With as much training and time that has been put on this horse as well as him being mature and sound of body (from your assessments by trainer but not a ppe) and you assume sound of mind.

A horse that has unexplained weight loss and no muscle sure don't expect to ride but there better be more of a story than the owner was injured and can't ride. There's been quite a bit of money spent on sales ads on this horse. Videos that when posted are him ridden and under training within that 18 months, an introduction of a new discipline (Western). And then nothing new.

I'm posting pictures of a mare that 6 weeks ago was the picture of good health and her current condition. She's got a show record, great breeding, safe and sound. Ridden by all ages and levels.
Then came Sally. We are slowly turning around her condition. Dont know about riding her again but if she recovers her body condition we will ride to see about her mindset. Two weeks ago she looked even worse. If horses can have PTSD she has it in spades. We had another that had to be pts. Several more in this area that have seemingly lost their minds. I pray for sanity to return. Point is something happened and you don't know what.

Hope he turns out to be everything you want and more.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
@QtrBel, so sorry to hear that the hurricane did so much damage- physical and emotional. Very sorry you lost one of your horses.

I wish OP would come back and share more. Did s/he get the horse? I think there is a lot to like about him based on the sales info, just want to know what's happened in the interim.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts