The Horse Forum banner

Calf dying from no obvious reason?!

1546 8
One of our calves just died, and we can't figure out why. It's not exactly nothing, but I can't think of anything it could be.
Yesterday, the calf was deep in mud/water and had to be chased out by my brothers. They say it wasn't like he was stuck; more like he wanted to be in there. Then today, they found him dead. We were thinking blackleg, but we cut him open and looked at his muscles, and they were perfectly normal. This happened to a different calf this spring, but he was a replacement Holstein, that we had bought for a cow that lost her calf, so we were thinking it might have been something from the place he was born.

We are a little scared for the other calves; we are a pretty small operation, and every calf counts. Any ideas what's wrong?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Thats to bad :(. My family has about 150 dairy cows, so I know how hard it is to loose a cow.....I'll ask my dad if he might know what it was, he's been around cows his whole life and has quite a bit of animal health knowledge!

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

· Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats to bad :(. My family has about 150 dairy cows, so I know how hard it is to loose a cow.....I'll ask my dad if he might know what it was, he's been around cows his whole life and has quite a bit of animal health knowledge!
Thanks a lot! We have around 100 cows. They're all beef, by the way.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
How old was he? Was he acting strange when he was standing in the water?

· Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wasn't there, but my brother says that he was just lying in the water, totally normal-looking, and that when they chased him out, he held his back left leg in the air a bit. But he did walk normally after - no limping - so he might just have had something uncomfortable in his hoof. He was about 2 weeks old. My dad called the vet (on the phone; didn't get him out here), and he said that it could be anything, and that the lying in water indicates a fever. The internet also told me that he was too young for blackleg, so...

· Registered
1,360 Posts
I wasn't there, but my brother says that he was just lying in the water, totally normal-looking, and that when they chased him out, he held his back left leg in the air a bit. But he did walk normally after - no limping - so he might just have had something uncomfortable in his hoof. He was about 2 weeks old. My dad called the vet (on the phone; didn't get him out here), and he said that it could be anything, and that the lying in water indicates a fever. The internet also told me that he was too young for blackleg, so...
Yah, I could be anything. But the best guess would prolly be a bad, but quick case of scours....I'd watch all the other calves close as that is contagious.

Reactions: boots

· Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldn't you be able to see it on his hind end and tail? We have scours all the time, but the only times a calf was killed because of it, we had noticed at least a couple of days earlier, and either not given him enough attention, or there was just no way to keep him alive. But we always noticed before it got to bad.

We will be keeping an eye on the others.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Usually you would, but if he was laying in water then it could have gotten washed off. Even then, I've seen it happen where you see scours but not who had them lol.
There's really no telling though, especially not with calves!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.