The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a little bit about dapple horses building up dapples during different seasons, losing/gaining them later, disappearing as they grow older. My boy is 8 years old, in his winter coat, and has some dappling on the rump, gradating to dark legs. I'm curiously trying to predict the future :smile: on what he might look like in the summer

What are your experiences with dapple grey/silver horse's coats? Seasonal changes? Clips? Over their lives? What have you found to control them showing up or going away?
:faceshot:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
@Tazzie has a dreamy dapple grey, hopefully she'll chime in with her beautiful pictures.

I have a smoky buckskin who is heavily dappled late summer through spring, when they seem less obvious (this was the first spring I've owned her, and we had to body clip her as she shed out a little oddly and we had an unusually warm start to the spring).

Summer

Fall

Winter

She went through a really weird phase between winter and spring where she turned almost black before shedding out

Spring (pre-clip)

Spring (post-clip)

·
Super Moderator
13,733 Posts
Once a gray goes white they lose their ability to dapple. Dapples are shade changes in the hair coat and there needs to be color present in the shaft to dapple. There is no longer color in a white coat. Grays will dapple and it is progressive (and then regressive) over their lifetime. With horses that are not gray there are other factors that contribute.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Sadly my mare never dappled all pretty like our gelding. She has super faint dapples from good health, but nothing spectacular really. We haven't had our gelding long enough to know about seasonal changes unfortunately. I can post a couple of examples though!

This was when we first went to try him under saddle. Picked him up/paid for him two days later

During his first turnout with my mare

A show in September

Before our last show

Helping build the barn before our last show

And our last show mid October

All the recent pictures I have of him are him being filthy or too dark to really see anything.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Our grey mare was completely white when we purchased her so we never knew if she dappled. There is a lovely grey gelding where my hubby takes lessons that was mostly steel grey and dappled when he came there as a 3 yr old - now at 7 he has lost the majority of his dark hair and just has dapples and dark hair on small parts of his lower body. I would anticipate he will be completely white by 10 or so.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Here is the most recent one of our little man. He stood out in the rain instead of this lovely, dry barn his daddy and I slaved over all summer to build.. this was taken Saturday

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.