The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking about going to a college in Minnesota. but i am all the way in North Carolina which has pretty normal winters. and i have trouble with cold weather. so i was wondering what the winters are like in Minnesota and how are the summers as well? here in north carolina this year the winter has gotten down to the teens on bad days. but normal stays around 25-40 degrees. our winters are usually 80s -96's we have gotten into the 100s before though. so what is the weather like there?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have lived in MN all my life and if you don't like cold and don't think you could adjust, this really isn't the place for you Im sorry. We can get snow as early as October and it often times stays until April/May. The average winter day here in Dec-Feb is in the single digits. Granted we do have above average days as well but that is about the average, meaning it does get a lot colder as well. We usually have a week in Dec and a week in Jan that the highs are in the high teens BELOW zero. The snow is also another big thing. We do get smaller bundles of snow but for instance this winter (that we are in right now) we have gotten several storms that have dumped over 2 feet of snow at once.

Summers are really nice here tho, I think you would really enjoy them. We often get up in the high 80s-90s in July/Aug. Otherwise the summers stays in the 60s-80s. I love the summers.

Hope that helped!

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
man that sucks. i may just have to go and deal with it anyway. this is the only college i have found that provides everything. including stables for my horse. the college is University of Minnesota, Crookston. i'm sure though that maybe if i got the proper clothing to insulate then i may be fine. but i can swear that when it's in the 20s here i feeling like my eyeballs could freeze lol >_<

·
Registered
719 Posts
Haha, the best thing i can tell you to by is Under armour (get the pants and a top) and Carhartt bibs.

If you want to know how to stay warm I can let you know!

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha give me all your stayign warm info! lol maybe it will give me a chance to be able to convince my mom to ride in weather below 40 degrees lol today it's suposed to be 63 oddly so we are definitely going riding. and the name brand under armour? or would an off brand work just as good?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have the name brand under armour so I dont know much about off brands, but if your planning on being here you are going to want to be warm so maybe its worth getting the name brand. Here is stuff that i use and LOVE! I have an indoor arena to ride in but its not insulated or heated so it still is pretty cold (but its nice to be out of the wind) and this is the stuff i ride in all winter long, I often get warm and have to shed layers.

Under layers:
Under Armour pants
Under Armour | Women's ColdGear Frosty Tight | 1001525 | $49.99

Under Armour top
Under Armour | Girls' ColdGear Mock | 1002513 | $39.99

Middle layer:
Usually its jeans and a hoodie

Outer layer:
Carhartt insulated bibs
Carhartt - Product - Men’s Duck Zip-to-Thigh Bib Overall/Quilt Lined
(I like Carhartt because it is so warm and it also isn't slippery like some snow pants can be)

I have a couple jackets, one is water resistant (i also use it for hunting so I understand that its not everyones style but it has good qualities to look for in a jacket)
Field & Stream Men's Micro Quad Parka (Mossy Oak) - Dick's Sporting Goods

And I also have a Carhartt jacket as well which is what i ride in the most
Carhartt - Product - Men's Duck Traditional Coat/Arctic Quilt-Lined

Boots:
THe only boot i have EVER found that keep my feet warm and 100% dry! You can wear different warmer socks for how cold it is
Muck Boots by The Original Muck Boot Company. Free Shipping / Guaranteed Fit From Muckboots.com.: Chore Mid-Cut

Gloves/hats are a personal thing i guess. I dont wear hats, i just cant stand them and i wear gloves with the fingers that are cut off so i can still feel things.

Anyway that was really long but I hope it helped you in some way!

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I personally don't have any UnderArmor (I've heard great things, but I just graduated from UMN-TC so I'm broke), but I layer silk long johns, jeans, and sometimes these fleece pajama pants for feeding and riding in the winter. Layers are your best friend. Especially going from class to class, the rooms are usually pretty warm but outside is frigid. If you layer you can customize your warmth. LOL That's what I did and it worked well. I'm a freeze baby too (TX mom). :D

Good luck if you decide to come up here. If you do though make sure you stay for at least one whole summer too. Then you'll know we're not all crazy! :D

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
the college is University of Minnesota, Crookston. i'm sure though that maybe if i got the proper clothing to insulate then i may be fine. but i can swear that when it's in the 20s here i feeling like my eyeballs could freeze lol >_<
Crookston is very north (bit more chilly than we are). I'm near the twin cities (Mpls/St. Paul). I ride all winter. Layer and you are just fine. Your body will acclimate to where you are at.

I've been on two trail rides in the last two weeks.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Right now where I live in MN is 11F with a -20F Wind chill.
ANd in winter where I live can be anywhere from 70-110F. But lately around here it has had pretty normal summers 80F.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahh lol with all the extra layers isn't it hard to move around? lol i'm not used to having to layer up. usually only a sweater and a light jacket and i am good. i'll definitely look into the under armor. and the boots! i'm in need of the boots! lol i've heard the summers are nice. here sometimes it gets to hot to ride. so it may be better there as it is a little lower in temps there. so that might be nice.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
You just wear light layers. For school this is usually what I'd do: tank top, t-shirt (both the lighter types), sweater, jeans, regular socks, and some sort of boot. If it was really cold (which everything might feel to you at first) I would add wool socks, top/bottoms of my silk long underwear (or some combo of these things). It's not bulky at all and it's easy to take off stuff if you get hot. I'm not sure if Crookston has tunnels or not (some of the others do), so you might not need to layer. I always wore a hat even though I look like a cancer patient (no offense to anyone). We call it my "don't shoot me" hat cuz it's blaze orange. :D

I would invest in both silk and underarmour(UA) if you can. From what I've heard and seen the UA is thicker and a compression type garment, so they could get a little tight and uncomfortable for all day wear. Especially since you'll be going in and out. Great for riding though or if you go skiing or ice fishing. Also, get a good outdoor jacket, boots, hats, scarves, and mittens/gloves. Carhartt is a great brand. I have a Columbia jacket that I love and several varieties of boots for various temps. I hunt too so I have a lot of clothes that are geared to being outside for long periods of time.

That's probably enough for now. Sorry for the book. :D I do hope you take a chance and come up here. I've always regretted that I didn't go to school in a different state.

·
Registered
5 Posts
UofM-Crookston

Hi!

I went there in 2000-2001. It is very cold there as it is much farther north than say, the Twin Cities where it is more populated. Plus, it's about 30 minutes East of North Dakota so you get the wind chill there.

I went there for Equine Industries Management, which I don't think they offer anymore, they do more of the Equine Science and the prep work for Veterinary Science too, I believe.

But what everyone else says about layering is definitely how you survive Minnesota Winters. Summers are nice, sometimes a little humid but average summer temperatures around mid-80s. Sometimes it gets higher but not normally.

What are you hoping to go to school for?

·
Registered
697 Posts
yup,layers,layers,layers.plus as silly as they sound heated socks work great for long winter rides.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.