The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking my guy doesn't yet have enough confidence in his surroundings from what I have seen so far.
Knowing they don't like being left alone in the stall while you grab something from the tack room.

I don't leave him for long but he is by himself unless other horses come into the barn to be tacked up, etc. Typically he is only in the stall for tacking up, grooming, fed supplements, and then he is outside 24/7.

Apart from calling out, he doesn't spin in his stall or bang the floor or anything....but:

I wonder about starting trailer training. While my TB was not a great loader, we eventually got to a place where he was happy enough to walk in, but he never called, or sweated. He wouldn't eat in the trailer, but our trips were always short.

Obviously my new guy needs to lead well (he does) for trailering, but I welcome ideas. Is he going to be one of those horses whose neighing the entire time he's travelling??

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
I start trailer training with other horses around, or in(I have a big stock crate so there's room) the trailer too. That way, separation anxiety doesn't come into the early experiences at all. Get them good at loading in 'easy' situations first, before gradually adding 'difficulties' such as away from their mates.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts