The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The indians used to do this. They would have a name for their horse, but when the two were alone they would call their horse their own unique name. The horses' hear many names, so they were called a very unique and different name by their owner when the two were alone. The indians told no one else about their name, just kept it between them and their horse. It was said to connect the two more...
What are your opinions on this?

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
I think it's a lovely idea, with no basis in fact.

If you want to have a secret name for your horse, I think that's grand. Just don't expect it to make you magically closer or bond you together more.

I have 'pet' names for all of my animals, but none of them have ever been secret.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I do something similar, haha It's kind of silly, but my horse loves it when I talk to him in an Aussie accent since his last owner was aussie. He seem's to respond better that way. I just don't do it around other people. =]

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
:lol: BlueJay, that is so cute.....what we won't do for our horses huh? I call Major all kinds of lovey dovey things. The girls at my barn wanted me to put 'Gorgeous' on his stall instead of Major :p....although, it is possible that he thinks that is his name since I greet him every day with "Hey Gorgeous...you're the most beautiful boy in the world" and all that kind of stuff. I think he likes his apples better than his pet names though

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I kind of do this but I can manage to say it front of people too and here's why:
His name is Kainne but sometimes when I'm just focused on him even if people are around, I'll call him Kai/K (in my mind when I'm saying them they're all different if that makes sense xD) for short..and you can't really hear the lack of the n if you aren't listening for it so it stays a secret between us..well, and now you guys too =P

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Lovely story , but I don't think a secret name will cause a deeper bond. More like that tone used and manner handled.

My mare gets all soft and lovey (she usually is so not that way) when I use a low cooing tone and call her "my girl". Walka is called "hey boy" with a gentle enthusiastic tone. They both know the tones and who each one is meant for. They both know my growl (!) and move their butts too! :wink:

·
Registered
910 Posts
I believe it works. As I have horses that answer to their "secret" name better than their real name. And a few of my friends know these names and the horses will not respond to my friends calling them. Only me. But I have appaloosas which are and indian breed... so it could be a trait. But my mom and I also suggest to anyone of our lessons who gets a new horse to come up with a name for them and them alone. And it has seemed to work for them alone.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I don't think that the actual name is what makes the difference because it's obvious that names aren't magical or anything, but it's more that it's in the way that you say it. If you're saying a different name you're probably feeling something different. If the name you're saying represents feeling closer to and more in tune with your horse, it's probably going to come with a slight change in your body language and the "vibes" you're sending out to your horse.
Either way I think it's a neat idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.